Aji Marinated Flat-Iron Tacos
These steak tacos are so delicious they will wow you! Aji is a South American sauce prevalent in Columbia and Peru. Depending on the region, this sauce (or sometimes a chunky salsa) can range from mild to super hot. We'll be using the milder version to marinate the flat-iron steaks for this recipe.Photo by: Sabrina BakshPrint Pin
Servings: 4 People
- 2 pounds flat iron steak
- 12-14 corn tortillas
- 1 1/2 cups guacamole
- for marinade:
- 1 onion small, roughly chopped
- lime juice aim for two medium limes
- 2 jalapenos seeded and roughly chopped
- 1/4 cup cilantro
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1-2 teaspoons habanero pepper sauce (optional)
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- Place all marinade ingredients into a food processor. Process until mixture is thick and smooth. Add more lime juice or oil if mixture remains chunky.
- Place flat iron steaks in a resealable plastic bag. Pour aji marinade over steaks and work it in making sure all surfaces of the meat are well coated. Seal bag and place into refrigerator for 6-24 hours.
- Preheat grill for medium-high heat.
- Remove steaks from bag and place onto grill. Cook 5-7 minutes per side or until steak reaches desired doneness. Place tortillas in a large piece of aluminum foil, wrap and place on the cooler part of the grill for about 5-7 minutes, turning once.
- Once cooked, remove steaks from grill and place onto a cutting board. Remove tortillas and set aside. Slice steaks into thin strips and serve in warmed tortillas with guacamole. If preferred, make a double batch of the aji sauce and reserve half to serve with the tacos.
Things to think about with this recipe: Meat: If you cannot find beef flat-iron steak at your local grocery store, flank steak will suffice. Keep in mind that flank steak is a tad tougher than flat-iron, and might require a longer marinating time. Spice: If you love spicy food, add an extra jalapeno, or a bit more habanero pepper sauce to the Aji mixture. Experiment with the flavors, and create something spectacular that fits your taste buds.
Calories: 767kcal | Carbohydrates: 47g | Protein: 50g | Fat: 43g | Saturated Fat: 12g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 150mg | Sodium: 1374mg | Potassium: 1376mg | Fiber: 12g | Sugar: 3g | Vitamin A: 285IU | Vitamin C: 20mg | Calcium: 102mg | Iron: 7mg