Apple Butter-Bourbon Pork Chops
These pork chops are basted in a flavorful apple butter-bourbon glaze and served with grilled apple skewers. The perfect Fall meal that is sure to please.Photo by: Sabrina BakshPrint Pin
Servings: 6 People
- 6 pork chops rib chops, about 1" thick
- 5-6 apples cored and cut into 1 1/2" thick slices (golden delicious or Granny Smith )
- 5-6 skewers (metal recommended)
- 1 1/4 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried sage
- 1 teaspoon granulated onion
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon ancho chili powder (use plain chili powder if preferred)
- 1/2 teaspoon granulated garlic
- for glaze:
- 1 1/4 cups apple butter
- 1/2 cup bourbon
- 1/3 cup water
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon grated nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- Prepare glaze first. Add all ingredients to a medium saucepan and simmer over medium high for 1 minute, stirring often. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 3 more minutes. Remove from heat and reserve 1/3 of the mixture for glazed apples. The remaining baste will be used on the pork chops.
- Thread apples onto skewers: about 5 pieces per skewer. Brush lightly with oil on both sides. You can chop apples ahead of time and place them into a bowl with cold water and lemon juice to keep them from turning brown.
- Heat grill to a medium-high cooking temperature.
- Combine rub ingredients and season both sides of pork chops. Place onto the grill and cook for 5-7 minutes, turn and baste cooked side with apple butter sauce. Cook for another 5 minutes, turn and baste again. Repeat process a few times until chops have reached an internal temperature between 155-160 degrees F. Watch for flare-ups and adjust temperature accordingly. Move chops to cooler part of grill and finish them up over indirect heat if needed.
- After the chops have been on about 10-12 minutes, place apple skewers on the grill. Cook 3 minutes, turn and baste with reserved apple butter sauce, cook another 2 minutes, turn and baste again. You will need to do this fairly quickly as apples tend to cook fast.
- Remove cooked chops and apples from grill and serve one skewer of apples per pork chop. This dish works perfectly paired with steam or grilled vegetables, rice, or quinoa.
- *Want extra sauce? Double the apple butter sauce recipe and serve on the side at the table. Simply delicious!
Things to think about with this recipe: If you're not too keen on that bourbon flavor, then substitute with another type of spirit like brandy, rum, scotch or cognac. If you are looking to omit alcohol all together, then use a combination of 1/4 cup each of peach nectar and cider vinegar.
Calories: 457kcal | Carbohydrates: 53g | Protein: 30g | Fat: 10g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 90mg | Sodium: 566mg | Potassium: 763mg | Fiber: 5g | Sugar: 43g | Vitamin A: 178IU | Vitamin C: 8mg | Calcium: 37mg | Iron: 1mg