These Avocado Chicken Burgers are chock full of pure deliciousness! Enjoy these grilled burgers in a fresh toasted bun or nestle them into a lettuce wrap for a low-carb alternative.
Hands down, this is one of our favorite chicken burger recipes. We developed this recipe years ago and still love it to this day! One of the best things about these avocado chicken burgers is that they are incredibly versatile. Want more spice? Substitute the roasted red pepper with roasted jalapeno or serrano peppers. You can even convert this recipe into meatballs! They make one heck of a divine appetizer.
- Meat: We will be using two types of ground chicken to make these avocado chicken burgers. I highly recommend using ground chicken thighs and ground chicken breast together. This combination creates a perfectly balanced chicken patty that is firm yet juicy. We’ve tested this recipe using one or the other and found that the ground thighs were delicious but tended to be too soft when combined with the mashed avocado. Using only ground chicken breast had the reverse effect. They were good but a bit stiff. So naturally, the combination of the two produced the best result. I encourage you to experiment and find the right combination to suit your tastes.
- Don’t like ground chicken? Use a combination of light and dark ground turkey or ground pork instead! Now let’s get grilling!
Ingredients for Avocado Chicken Burgers :
- Ground chicken thighs
- Ground chicken breast
- Hamburger buns or lettuce leaves
- Roasted red pepper (sold in a jar)
- Cilantro, substitute with parsley
- Green onions
- Fresh lime juice
- Salt and black pepper
- Olive oil
- Toppings of choice: I recommend lettuce, tomatoes, sliced red onions, and your favorite condiments.
How to Make Chicken Burgers:
- Preheat your grill for 375 degrees F, medium-high heat. I recommend having a reliable instant read thermometer close by. You’ll need it!
- Once the grill comes up to temperature, oil the grill grates well using a large pair of tongs and a folded paper towel dipped in olive oil. Make at least 4 passes to create a non-stick surface.
- Combine chicken with avocado, roasted peppers, cilantro (or parsley), green onion, garlic, lime juice, salt, and black pepper.
- Form into 6 equal-sized patties and place onto a parchment-lined baking sheet. Lightly brush both sides of the patties with oil and place them onto the grill. If they are too soft, brush one side only, and place the patties oiled side down onto the grill grates. Once they are on the grill, you can brush the other side with oil.
- Grill patties, 5-6 minutes per side, turn, and cook for another 6-7 minutes until the internal temperature reaches 165 degrees F.
- Remove from grill and place into burger buns. Top with your favorite condiments.
- Store your leftover chicken burger patties in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 3 days. Freeze for up to 1 month. Reheat in a skillet for best results.
If you liked these Avocado Chicken Burgers, you’d love these!
Avocado Chicken Burgers
- 1 pound chicken thighs ground
- 1 pound chicken breast ground
- 6 hamburger buns or lettuce leaves
- 1 avocado large sized, pitted, scooped and mashed
- 3 strips roasted red pepper in jar, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup cilantro finely chopped (can substitute with parsley)
- 2 green onions finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tablespoon lime juice fresh preferred
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- olive oil
- Preheat grill for medium high heat. Once grill comes up to temperature, oil grill grates well using a large pair of tongs and folded paper towel dipped in oil. Make at least 4 passes to create a non stick surface.
- Combine chicken with avocado, roasted peppers, cilantro (or parsley), green onion, garlic, lime juice, salt, and black pepper. Form into 6 equal sized patties and place onto a parchment lined baking sheet. Brush both sides of burger with oil and place onto grill.
- Grill patties, 5-6 minutes per side, turn and cook for another 6-7 minutes, or until the internal temperature reaches 165 degrees F.
- Remove from grill and place into burger buns. Top with you favorite condiments.Store leftover burger patties in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 3 days. Reheat in a butter (or oiled) skillet for best results.