These mouthwatering Avocado Chicken Burgers are packed with flavor and sure to please! Serve on a fresh toasted bun or nestled into a lettuce wrap for a healthy, low-carb alternative.
This chicken avocado burger recipe is amazing! We have been making it for years and still love it today! What’s great about these burgers is that they are so versatile. If you want to add extra spice, simply swap out the roasted red pepper for roasted jalapeno or serrano peppers. You can even convert this recipe into meatballs! They make one heck of a delicious appetizer.
Chicken patty basics
- Meat: Here’s a pro tip. Use a combination of ground chicken thighs and breasts to create a perfectly balanced patty that is firm yet juicy.
- Use combinations: We’ve tested this recipe using one or the other and found that the ground thighs were delicious but a little too soft when mixed with the mashed avocado. On the other hand, using only ground chicken breast made the patties a bit stiff. So naturally, the combination of the two produced the best result.
- Substitutions: Need a good substitute for ground chicken? Use a combination of light and dark ground turkey or ground pork instead.
Ingredients for Avocado Chicken Burgers:
- Ground chicken thighs
- Ground chicken breast
- Hamburger buns or lettuce leaves
- Roasted red pepper (sold in a jar)
- Chopped cilantro, substitute with parsley
- Green onions
- Fresh lime juice
- Salt and black pepper
- Olive oil
- Toppings of choice: Lettuce, tomatoes, sliced red onions, and your favorite condiments like mayonnaise, etc.
How do you know when an avocado is ripe?
- Check the skin color: Ripe avocados usually have dark green or black skin, depending on the variety. Bright green avocados are typically unripe.
- Feel them: Gently squeeze the avocado in the palm of your hand. A ripe avocado should be soft but firm. If it feels mushy, it might be overripe or even rotten. If it’s hard, it’s unripe.
- Check the stem cap: Remove the stem at the top of the avocado. If it comes off easily and is green underneath, it’s likely ripe. If you see brown or black, the avocado is either overripe or rotten.
How to Make Chicken Burgers:
- Preheat your grill for 375 degrees F, medium-high heat. I recommend having a reliable instant read thermometer close by. You’ll need it!
- Once the grill comes up to temperature, oil the grill grates well using a large pair of tongs and a folded paper towel dipped in olive oil. Make at least 4 passes to create a non-stick surface.
- Combine chicken with avocado, roasted peppers, cilantro (or parsley), green onion, garlic, lime juice, salt, and black pepper in a large bowl.
- Form into 6 equal-sized patties and place onto a parchment-lined baking sheet. Lightly brush both sides of the patties with oil and place them onto the grill. If they are too soft, brush one side only, and place the patties oiled side down onto the grill grates. Once they are on the grill, you can brush the other side with oil.
- Grill patties, 5-6 minutes per side, turn, and cook for another 6-7 minutes until the internal temperature reaches 165 degrees F.
- Remove from grill and place into burger buns. Top with your favorite condiments.
- Store your leftover chicken burger patties in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 3 days. Freeze for up to 1 month. Reheat in a skillet for best results.
Cook the chicken burgers in an oiled cast-iron pan over medium-high heat, turning once during cooking. Reduce heat to medium if needed. Cooking should take 10-12 minutes total, or 5-6 minutes per side until they reach 165 degrees F.
If you liked these Avocado Chicken Burgers, you’d love these!
Avocado Chicken Burgers
- 1 pound chicken thighs ground
- 1 pound chicken breast ground
- 6 hamburger buns or lettuce leaves
- 1 avocado large sized, pitted, scooped and mashed
- 3 strips roasted red pepper in jar, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup cilantro finely chopped (can substitute with parsley)
- 2 green onions finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tablespoon lime juice fresh preferred
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- olive oil
- Preheat grill for medium high heat. Once grill comes up to temperature, oil grill grates well using a large pair of tongs and folded paper towel dipped in oil. Make at least 4 passes to create a non stick surface.
- Combine chicken with avocado, roasted peppers, cilantro (or parsley), green onion, garlic, lime juice, salt, and black pepper. Form into 6 equal sized patties and place onto a parchment lined baking sheet. Brush both sides of burger with oil and place onto grill.
- Grill patties, 5-6 minutes per side, turn and cook for another 6-7 minutes, or until the internal temperature reaches 165 degrees F.
- Remove from grill and place into burger buns. Top with you favorite condiments.Store leftover burger patties in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 3 days. Reheat in a butter (or oiled) skillet for best results.