If you love all the goodness of a loaded baked potato, then this bacon lovers potato salad for you. The potatoes are coated in a delectable mixture of blue cheese, green onions, and bacon; chilled then served. This easy to make bacon lovers potato salad is sure to wow your guests! If you’re looking for a simple, homemade potato salad, I recommend this one. Serve this at your next BBQ, potluck, or game day party.
What you’ll to make Bacon Lovers Potato Salad:
Time: Plan on about a 52-55 minute combination prep and cook time for this recipe. Potatoes do take time to peel, cook, and cool off.
Blue Cheese Dressing: Do not, I repeat, please do not go to the salad dressing aisle to purchase your blue cheese dressing. Buy the good stuff in the refrigerated section near the produce. I recommend either Marie’s or Litehouse blue cheese dressings. Look for a thick salad dressing that doubles as a vegetable dip. If you aren’t fond of blue cheese, grab a jar of Marie’s or Litehouse ranch dressing and use that instead.
Potatoes: I recommend Yukon Gold. Russets are great for baking, but Yukon’s work like magic for potato salads.
Other ingredients: This recipe also calls for eggs, real mayonnaise, sharp cheddar cheese, green onion, garlic, and spices.
If you’re looking for a low-carb option, I recommend replacing the potatoes with steamed cauliflower. Undercook them slightly. The cauliflower should be al dente and not mushy.
Don’t like blue cheese? Use ranch dressing instead. See above for recommendations.
Want to ditch the pork? Substitute the bacon with turkey bacon.
This bacon lovers potato salad can be served as a side dish for lunch or dinner. This dish works well with BBQ pork, beef brisket, burgers, sausages, steaks, chicken, roasts, and grilled vegetables.
Learn more about more about Potato Salad
Need a egg free, dairy free option, try this Hot Herb and Caper Potato Salad
Bacon Lovers Potato Salad
- 9-10 medium Yukon Gold potatoes
- 1 tablespoon salt
- for dressing:
- 1 1/4 cup blue cheese dressing
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 6-7 strips bacon cooked and finely chopped
- 1/2 cup sharp cheddar cheese shredded
- 1/4 cup green onion chopped
- 4-5 boiled eggs chopped
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 2 1/4 teaspoons salt (add more if needed)
- 1/4 teaspoon granulated garlic
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- Peel and chop potatoes into quarters. Boil potatoes in enough water to cover them by 1 inch with 1 tablespoon of salt. Cook for 18-22 minutes, or until tender. You should be able to pierce them easily with a knife, but the potatoes should not be mushy.
- Drain potatoes and place into a bowl with ice water. Let stand for 15 minutes. Add more ice if needed. This step stops the cooking process and cools down the potatoes enough to handle.
- Meanwhile, combine dressing ingredients in a large bowl, reserving a little bacon and green onion for garnish.
- Drain potatoes and cut into smaller pieces. Add to bowl with dressing and toss gently to coat. Taste for salt content and adjust accordingly. Spoon mixture into serving dish and garnish with reserved onion and bacon. Cover with plastic wrap, and place into the refrigerator for at least 2 hours before serving. Keep salad cold during serving by placing serving dish into a container with ice.
- Store leftovers in an air tight container in the refrigerator for 3 days after preparation. Discard after this time.