This balsamic chicken marinade is a great way to brighten up grilled or baked chicken breasts. Of course, you can use this marinade on any cut of chicken, like thigh meat and legs. If you plan to marinate an entire chicken, I recommend doubling or tripling the recipe.
Balsamic Vinegar-Use and Type:
Balsamic is one of my favorite types of vinegar to use in marinades. Its robust flavor jump-starts anything from boneless chicken thighs and breasts to steak and even meat substitutes like tofu. The important thing to remember is that a little goes a long way. This balsamic chicken marinade calls for only two tablespoons of vinegar. That might seem like a small amount, but trust me, it will pack a punch.
For this recipe, you will need mid-grade balsamic vinegar. There is no need to use an expensive high-grade version.
Balsamic Chicken Marinade Ingredients:
- Olive oil
- Balsamic vinegar
- Brown sugar
- Dried rosemary
- Onion powder
- Salt and black pepper
- Pepper flakes (optional)
How to Make Balsamic Chicken Marinade:
- Blend all ingredients, except rosemary and pepper flakes, in a kitchen blender or single-serve blender.
- Stir in rosemary and pepper flakes. Taste marinade and adjust ingredients as needed. Let the mixture sit at room temperature for 5 minutes. Stir before using.
- Place 4 medium-sized, skinless chicken breasts into a resealable plastic bag. Pour balsamic chicken marinade over the top. Use tongs to toss gently, making sure the chicken is well coated. Seal the bag and place it into the refrigerator. Marinate chicken breasts for 1-2 hours.
- Marinade legs and thighs for 3-4 hours, and a whole chicken for 6-8 hours. Double balsamic marinade recipe as needed.
- This marinade can be made ahead of time and stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 3-4 days.
Like this balsamic chicken marinade recipe? Try these:
Balsamic Chicken Marinade
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- Pinch of pepper flakes optional
- In a kitchen blender or single-serve blender, combine all ingredients except, rosemary and pepper flakes.
- Pour mixture out into a bowl and stir in rosemary, and pepper flakes. Taste marinade and adjust ingredients as needed. Let the mixture sit at room temperature for 5 minutes. Stir before using.
- Place 4 medium skinless chicken breasts into a resealable plastic bag, pour marinade over top, making sure all meat surfaces are well coated. Seal bag and place into the refrigerator for 1-2 hours.
- Marinade legs and thighs for 3-4 hours, and a whole chicken for 6 hours. Double recipe as needed.
- The marinade can be made ahead of time and stored in an air tight container in the refrigerator for up 3-4 days.