If you’re new to low and slow barbecue, I suggest starting off with this rub. It has all the key ingredients for a perfectly flavored pulled pork. It’s also great on ribs. This recipe makes enough rub for 1 pork roast or 2 large racks of ribs.
Basic Pork Rub
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons coarse salt
- 1 tablespoon mild chili powder
- 1 tablespoon mustard powder
- 2 teaspoons black pepper
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- Combine ingredients in a bowl. Brown sugar and mustard powder tend to clump, so be aware of that when combining the rub. Apply mixture all over the pork roast making sure that it is well coated. Cook pork as directed.
- Discard any rub that has come into contact with raw meat.
- Double or triple the recipe to have on hand. Store in a glass jar or airtight container in the cupboard for up to 6 months. Check in on it periodically to make sure the brown sugar hasn't dried out. If not, give it a good stir, seal container, and place back in the cupboard.
Looking for more ideas? See my list of the best BBQ Pork Rib Rubs.