Basic Pork Rub
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons coarse salt
- 1 tablespoon chili powder mild
- 1 tablespoon mustard powder
- 2 teaspoons black pepper
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- Combine ingredients in a bowl. Brown sugar and mustard powder tend to clump, so be aware of that when combining the rub. Apply mixture all over the pork roast making sure that it is well coated. Cook pork as directed.
- Discard any rub that has come into contact with raw meat.
- Double or triple the recipe to have on hand. Store in a glass jar or airtight container in the cupboard for up to 6 months. Check in on it periodically to make sure the brown sugar hasn't dried out. If not, give it a good stir, seal container, and place back in the cupboard.
Apply your spice rubs like a professional with a spice shaker (aka Dredge). This one from Winware has a heavy build, is machine washable and holds plenty of spice rub. Plus it costs about $7. Just make sure you don't use this to store your rubs. It isn't airtight.