- Three 15,000 BTU cast iron burners
- 500 square inches of primary grilling space
- 45,000 BTU maximum output from the main burners
- 15,000 BTU standard side burner
- Cast iron cooking grates plus a large cast iron griddle
- Single layer hood
- Hood is completely removable
- On knob piezoelectric ignition
- Total weight of 147 pounds
- Sold as propane or natural gas – Convertible with additional equipment
- Made in China by Electrolux Home Products Pty. Ltd.
Best Gas Grills Between $500 and $1000
See the complete list of Freestanding Gas Grill Reviews
Full Review – Beefeater Discovery 1000R 3-Burner Gas Grill
- Solid construction
- Hood comes completely off
- Comes with a large griddle
- High heat output
- Limited features
- Limited distribution
Beefeater started out as one of the original manufacturers of grills in Australia. Australian-style grills are built for power. The burners are close to the food and they are particularly good at direct, intense heat. Beefeater still works for this goal and this Discovery 3-Burner has all that. This is a simple and straightforward gas grill and at around $800USD it doesn’t stand out against a lot of the lower-quality competition. That is too bad. These are great grills but tend to be hard to find.
The standard configuration of this gas grill includes two porcelain-coated cast iron cooking grates and one, heavy-duty porcelain-coated cast iron griddle. The open grilling space is enough for most uses and the griddle adds versatility and makes it easy to grill breakfast (something big in Australia). For an all-around grill with a lot of versatility, but without all the bells and whistles, this is an excellent choice in the price range. Again though, it isn’t widely distributed in North America, so buying it online might be your only option.
This model gas grill is also available as an insert if you can find it. As an addition to an inexpensive grill island, it is also a very good choice.