Big Green Egg Medium$669.00
- Excellent Temperature Control
- Wide Range of Available Accessories
- Solid Construction
- Excellent Product Support
- Small Capacity
- Limited Features as is
- Metal Work could use Improvement
Specifications - Big Green Egg Medium Charcoal Grill
- 15-inch diameter cooking surface (177 square inches)
- Top vent cap is cast iron - bottom vent is stainless steel
- Heavy ceramic shell holds heat and stops temperature fluctuations
- Glazed interior makes it easy to clean
- Spring loaded lid for easy lifting
- Porcelain-coated steel cooking grates
- Made in Mexico by Big Green Egg
Full Review - Big Green Egg Medium Charcoal Grill
In the past, Big Green Egg was more interested in offering smaller charcoal grills. The medium was, their mid-sized grill until they went larger. The 15-inch diameter cooking grate on this model offers 177 square inches of cooking space which is about enough for an 18-pound turkey. As a grill, this model has all the advantages of a great Kamado. This includes a durable ceramic shell, efficient cooking and both high and low-temperature cooking characteristics.
One of the great advantages of Kamado Grills is their ability to hold low temperatures for a long period of time. This is true of this model as well and considering the small size, it will burn very little charcoal to do it. The limitation of this size is that while it can do this, it doesn’t offer the space for doing a good deal of barbecue. A rack of ribs would have to be folded or cut in half to fit the cooking area and full briskets are simply too big.
On the other hand, if you are interested in a small Kamado and looking to do predominately straight grilling, this is an excellent choice. It typically sells for about $200USD less than the ever popular ‘Large’ size Big Green Egg so there is a saving there. I would, however, recommend that you consider the large over this unit. Since the large has much greater versatility and is both an excellent grill and smoker. While this is an excellent grill, it is limited at a smoker. If you want the best of both worlds, go large.