Bourbon Bathed Bratwursts
Usually, bratwursts are simmered in either a beer or broth concoction before finishing them off on the grill. For this recipe, we will be using a bourbon bath instead. If you haven’t tried the bourbon version, you are missing out. Don’t worry. The flavor is subtle; in fact, it’s delicious! We developed this recipe using Four Roses Bourbon and recommend that you do the same. Other bourbons might not be as subtle, so please keep that in mind. Photo by: Sabrina Baksh
- 6 bratwursts
- For bourbon bath:
- 2 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 3/4 cup bourbon Four Roses Bourbon
- 1/2 cup cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 cloves garlic peeled and left whole
- 1 tablespoon whole peppercorns
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 bay leaf
- In a medium-sized pot, add all bourbon ingredients, and simmer over low heat for 3-4 minutes. Carefully add brats to the bath; we don’t want them to break!. Cover the pot and gently simmer for 20 minutes.
- Preheat grill for medium-high heat. Remove brats from the bath and place them onto a large plate or cutting board.
- Add bratwursts on the grill and cook for 3-4 minutes per side, or until there is a nice golden brown color with grill marks present. You can also slice them ¾ of the way through (lengthwise) and grill them. Shorten the cooking time if choosing to do the latter.
- Once done, remove brats from the grill, and serve with your favorite mustard and sides. These make excellent sausage sandwiches too.
Calories: 345kcalCarbohydrates: 7gProtein: 13gFat: 22gSaturated Fat: 7gTrans Fat: 1gCholesterol: 63mgSodium: 578mgPotassium: 346mgFiber: 1gSugar: 4gVitamin A: 44IUVitamin C: 1mgCalcium: 38mgIron: 1mg
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!