This flavorful Brazilian barbecue rub is adapted from the popular Bahian spice blend known as Tempero Baiano. This rub is ideal for beef, and the combination of herbs and warm spices is delicious!
What is Tempero Baiano?
This seasoning mixture hails from the northeastern state of Bahia, Brazil, and is the perfect blend of of native and African culinary food traditions. Tempero baiano is made up of earthy, aromatic spices that work well on all types of grilled or smoked meats. This mixture contains ingredients like black pepper, onion, garlic, and cinnamon. Some variations call for turmeric, saffron, and dried marjoram. The important thing to remember is that tempero baiano is quite versatile, and many use this Brazilian barbecue rub in marinades, soups, stews, and even vegetables.
What you’ll need to make Brazilian barbecue rub:
- Coriander seeds
- Dried Cilantro (sub with dried marjoram if needed)
- Black pepper
- Onion Powder
- Granulated garlic or garlic powder
Making this rub:
Combine all of the ingredients in a bowl and use the rub right away. Make a large batch and store in an airtight container in the cupboard for up to 1 year. Check on it every few month, particularly in a humid climates.
How to use Brazilian barbecue rub:
As mentioned above, you can use this in rub most recipes, but it works well on grilled and low and slow cooked meats. Try this rub on a Tomahawk Steak or even picanha. While picanha is normally seasoned with just salt, this spice mixture will add more flavor! We also use this Brazilian barbecue rub on grilled or smoked pork.
Making a marinade with Brazilian barbecue rub:
- For 1 -1 1/2 pounds of meat, use 2 tablespoons of rub with 1/4 cup oil and 1/4 cup fresh citrus juice or vinegar. Whisk together and use.
- beef for 4-12 hours
- pork for 3-6 hours
- chicken and other poultry for 2-4 hours
- vegetables, fish, and seafood for 30 minutes
Brazilian Style Barbecue Rub
- 2 tablespoons coarse salt
- 1 tablespoon paprika not smoked
- 1 tablespoon cumin powder
- 1 tablespoon dried cilantro
- 2 teaspoons onion powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons black pepper
- 1 teaspoon coriander seeds
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon granulated garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon powdered ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper adjust to your liking
- Combine all rub ingredients in a small bowl. Use immediately or store in an air tight container in the cupboard for up to 1 year after preparation. Double or triple the recipe for multiple uses.
Photos by: trindade51/Depositphotos and belchonock/Depositphotos