This flavorful Brazilian barbecue rub is adapted from the popular Bahian spice blend known as Tempero Baiano. This savory homemade rub is ideal for beef, and the combination of herbs and warm spices is delicious!
What is Tempero Baiano?
This seasoning mixture comes from the northeastern state of Bahia, Brazil, and is a blend of indigenous and African culinary food traditions. Tempero baiano is made up of earthy, aromatic spices used on all types of grilled or smoked meats. This mixture contains ingredients like black pepper, onion, garlic, and cinnamon. Some variations call for turmeric, saffron, and dried marjoram. The important thing to remember is that tempero baiano is quite versatile, as many cooks also use this Brazilian barbecue rub to season marinades, soups, stews, and vegetables.
Brazilian barbecue rub ingredients
- Coriander seeds
- Dried Cilantro (sub with dried marjoram if needed)
- Black pepper
- Onion Powder
- Granulated garlic or garlic powder
Making the rub
Combine all of the rub ingredients in a bowl and use it right away, or store for later use. Make a large batch and keep it in an airtight container in the cupboard for up to 1 year. Check on it for caking every so often, particularly in humid climates.
How to use Brazilian barbecue rub
As mentioned above, you can use this in rub most recipes, but it works well on grilled and low and slow cooked meats. Try this rub on a Tomahawk Steak or even picanha. While picanha is normally seasoned only with salt, this spice mixture will add a depth of flavor. We have also used this Brazilian barbecue rub on grilled or smoked pork.
Making a marinade with Brazilian barbecue rub
- For 1 -1 1/2 pounds of meat, use 2 tablespoons of rub with 1/4 cup oil and 1/4 cup fresh citrus juice or vinegar. Whisk together and use.
- Beef for 4-12 hours
- Pork for 3-6 hours
- Chicken and other poultry for 2-4 hours
- Vegetables, fish, and seafood for 30 minutes
Brazilian Barbecue Rub
- 2 tablespoons coarse salt
- 1 tablespoon paprika not smoked
- 1 tablespoon cumin powder
- 1 tablespoon dried cilantro
- 2 teaspoons onion powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons black pepper
- 1 teaspoon coriander seeds
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon granulated garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon powdered ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper adjust to your liking
- Combine all rub ingredients in a small bowl. Use immediately or store in an air tight container in the cupboard for up to 1 year after preparation. Double or triple the recipe for multiple uses.