Bold enough to match the deep, rich flavor of a barbecue brisket, this classic style tomato-based barbecue sauce has that perfect combination of sweet and tangy with a hint of heat. Use on brisket once sliced and served. Keep this Brisket Barbecue Sauce handy at the table so people can help themselves.
- 1/2 cup minced sweet onion
- 2-3 cloves garlic minced
- 1/2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 1 cup apple cider vinegar
- 2/3 cup dark brown sugar
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1/4 cup bottled chili sauce
- 2 1/2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 1/2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 2 1/2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1 tablespoon powdered mustard
- 1 tablespoon mild chili powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- Heat olive oil in a medium pot. Add onions and cook over medium heat for 2 minutes. Add garlic and cook for an additional minute.
- Add all remaining ingredients and stir to combine.
- Bring sauce to a simmer over medium-high heat for 1-2 minutes, until it starts to bubble. Quickly, reduce the heat to low and simmer for 10-15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Remove sauce from heat, and cool for 10 minutes before using.
- I recommend making this sauce 24 hours in advance. If you choose to do so, let sauce cool, place into an air tight container and store in the refrigerator for up to 5 days after initial preparation. Reheat in microwave or stovetop before serving.