Bold enough to match the deep, rich flavor of a barbecue brisket, this classic style tomato-based barbecue sauce has that perfect combination of sweet and tangy with a hint of heat. Use on brisket once sliced and served. Keep this Brisket Barbecue Sauce handy at the table so people can help themselves.
Brisket BBQ Sauce
- 1/2 cup minced sweet onion
- 2-3 cloves garlic minced
- 1/2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 1 cup apple cider vinegar
- 2/3 cup dark brown sugar
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1/4 cup bottled chili sauce
- 2 1/2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 1/2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 2 1/2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1 tablespoon powdered mustard
- 1 tablespoon mild chili powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- Heat olive oil in a medium pot. Add onions and cook over medium heat for 2 minutes, and garlic and cook for an additional minute.
- Add all remaining ingredients and stir to combine.
- Bring to a simmer over medium-high heat for 1-2 minutes, until sauce starts to bubble. Quickly, reduce the heat to low and let simmer for 10-15 minutes.
- Let sauce cool for 10 minutes before using.
- I recommend making sauce 24 hours in advance. If you choose to do so, let sauce cool, place into an air tight container and store in refrigerator for up to 5 days after initial preparation. Reheat in microwave to warm before serving.