- Four 12,250 BTU dual tube stainless steel burners
- 500 square inches primary cooking area with a total of 695 square inches
- 48,000 BTU maximum output from the main burners
- 15,000 BTU rear mounted stainless steel (not infrared) rotisserie burner with full rotisserie kit
- Stainless steel and painted steel construction with cast aluminum end caps
- Stainless steel rod cooking grates
- Battery powered electronic ignition
- Double layer hood with center mounted thermometer
- Complete Insert kit included
- Cover and propane tank sold separately
- Made in Canada by Onward Manufacturing Company
Full Review - Broil King Imperial 490 Built-in Gas Grill
We have become accustomed to grills that are designed for the specific purpose of being placed into an outdoor kitchen enclosure. These grills are very much like modern kitchen appliances. There was once, however, a time when freestanding grills were being modified into outdoor cabinetry and structures. The Broil King Imperial 490 looks a lot like that. This isn’t a traditional insert, but it is a very good gas grill with a lot of features and a price more affordable than many built-in units today.
For the price of this unit (just under $2,000USD) you can buy a very good and nice looking three burner gas grill insert that is, well, just that. This Broil King however comes with a side burner that is connected to the grill head and controlled by a valve on the main control panel. There is also a rear mounted rotisserie burner (which isn’t infrared) and four main burners. This is a large, well featured grill, it just doesn’t look like what we have come to expect in an outdoor kitchen.
On the other hand, this is a modified version of Broil King’s freestanding grill, and while the cart doesn’t do much more than hold the grill up, there is a reengineering process in this grill to turn it into something it wasn’t specifically designed for. This is not to say that it won’t work or operated well. All the extra features adds a certain amount of complexity and, of course, this grill isn’t part of a larger line of outdoor kitchen products.
For simple installations and small grill islands, this is a great option. It puts a lot of versatility in one package where most manufacturers offer those elements as extras. This built-in gas grill comes with everything needed to put it in place including the mounting system. If you are putting together an outdoor kitchen on a budget, I do suggest considering this unit.
One note: This is not a widely available product. Some Broil King retailers don’t even know it exists, and Broil King doesn’t include it on their website. It is a limitedly available grill, so it might require a little hunting to find it.