- Four 12,250 BTU dual tube stainless steel burners
- 500 square inches primary cooking area with a total of 695 square inches
- 50,000 BTU maximum output from the main burners
- 10,000 BTU brass capped side burner under a flush mounted cover
- 15,000 BTU rear-mounted stainless steel (not infrared) rotisserie burner with full rotisserie kit
- Stainless steel and enameled steel construction with cast aluminum end caps and double-layer hood
- Porcelain-coated cast iron cooking grates
- Electric (AA-battery) ignition
- Propane tank and cover sold separately
- Sold as propane or natural gas – Not convertible
- Made in the USA by Onward Manufacturing Company
Full Review – Broil King Baron 490
- Excellent burner design
- Wide range temperature control
- Good quality construction
- Heavy cooking grates
- Loaded with features
- Low power side burner
- Comparatively lightweight construction
The Broil King Baron 490 is an excellent choice for a full-feature gas grill. This model doesn’t put on a layer of shiny metal to make it stand out. Instead, it loads on the features. While in this price range I don’t recommend going overboard, for those who want it all, this is one of the best choices on the market. This model can be had without the side burner and rear rotisserie burner for about $150USD less than the $1,050 sale price for this model, so consider what features you need before making a purchase.
Broil King uses a unique design for its burners that produce a more even heat than much of the competition and the heat output is higher than many others in this price range. Add to this the heavy, porcelain-coated cast iron cooking grates and this is a gas grill that really performs. Expect high cooking temperatures and excellent transfer of that heat to foods.
It should be pointed out that the rotisserie burner on this model is not infrared like most all other brands. It is a standard burner that may not produce the kind of heat that infrared can, but it is still an excellent feature and it really works. While not a reason to turn away, this standard rotisserie burner is actually longer lasting than many of the inexpensive infrared burners on the market which can easily crack.