Try this traditional Korean style Bulgogi marinade on beef. Slice, marinate, cook and serve in lettuce wraps or over rice. You can use this mixture on any cut of beef, simply adjust your marinating times accordingly. See the instructions for more information.
- 1/2 cup soy sauce
- 1/3 cup white sugar
- 3 tablespoons sake (use rice wine or sherry as substitutes)
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil
- 6-8 cloves garlic minced
- 4 green onions finely diced
- 2 tablespoons toasted sesame seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- Toast sesame seeds by placing them in a hot skillet. Toss to distribute heat evenly. The toasting process happens quickly, so keep a close eye on the sesame seeds. Once off the heat, transfer to a small bowl and set aside.
- Heat oil in a small saucepan and add minced garlic. Cook garlic for over medium heat for 45 seconds to 1 minute.
- Add remaining ingredients, except green onion, and cook over low heat for 3-5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Once the sugar is completely dissolved, remove from heat and stir in green onions. Let marinade cool for 15 minutes before using.
- For thinner cuts like steaks, marinate meat for 2-4 hours
- For larger cuts and roasts, marinate for 6-12 hours.