Cedar Wrapped Halibut Kebabs
Halibut is a great fish, but like most fish it is prone to breaking on the grill. A cedar wrap helps to contain the fish while on the grill and it imparts a bit of flavor to it as well. These kebabs are simply flavored with lemon, garlic, and olive oil. Tender, delicious, and perfect for any occasion.
Servings: 4 People
- 2-2 1/2 pounds halibut fillet, cut into 1 1/2" chunks
- 4 cedar wraps with ties
- 4 skewers
- 2 lemons, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons clarified butter, melted
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1-2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon salt (add more if needed)
- 1/4-1/2 teaspoon lemon pepper (adjust to your liking)
- Soak cedar wraps in tepid water for 30-40 minutes.
- Preheat grill for medium heat.
- Combine oil, clarified butter (ghee), garlic, thyme, lemon juice, salt, and lemon pepper in a bowl. Set aside.
- Cut fish into chunks. Slice lemons into thin slices; they should easily fold over without breaking. Alternate fish pieces with folded lemon slices. Repeat process for remaining kebabs. Brush each with olive oil mixture.
- Remove cedar wraps from water and blot dry with paper towels. Set one halibut kebab inside of each wrap, fold over and secure with string.
- Place cedar wrapped kebabs onto grill cook for 15-20 minutes, or until the internal temperature of the fish reaches 145 degrees F.
- Remove from grill, unwrap and serve.
Image by: Sabrina Baksh