Cedar-wrapped halibut skewers are easy to make and flavorful too! Halibut is a delicious fish but prone to sticking or breaking on the grill. Wrapping it in cedar helps keep it intact and adds a subtle smoky flavor.
These fish skewers are brushed with a little lemon, garlic, and olive oil, then grilled to perfection. Delicate and slightly smoky, these cedar-wrapped halibut skewers are the right choice for any occasion.
What are cedar wraps?
Cedar wraps are little blankets (or wraps) made out of wood. They are bendable, wrap around the food, and create a barrier to a grill’s direct flame. These grilling wraps infuse a slight smokiness to foods and works particularly well with fish, seafood, and vegetables. Besides cedar, these wraps also come in maple or cherry. They are one-time use and, therefore, non reusable.
Ingredients for halibut kebabs:
- Halibut fillet, about 2 pounds ( substitute with cod, tilapia, salmon, etc.)
- Cedar wraps with ties
- Skewers (presoaked wooden skewers)
- Lemons and lemon juice (sub with lime juice or a combination of lime and orange juices)
- Olive oil
- Ghee or butter
- Fresh thyme (sub with oregano, rosemary, chives, basil, etc.)
- Lemon pepper: substitute with black pepper
Making halibut skewers:
- Soak cedar wraps in lukewarm water for 30-40 minutes.
- Preheat your grill for 350 degrees F.
- Combine oil, ghee (or butter), garlic, thyme, lemon juice, salt, and lemon pepper in a bowl. Set aside.
- Cut fish into 1 1/2″ chunks. Slice lemons into thin slices; they should fold over easily without breaking—alternate fish pieces with folded lemon slices.
- Repeat process for remaining kebabs. Brush each skewer with olive oil-lemon juice mixture.
- Remove cedar wraps from water and blot dry with paper towels.
- Set one halibut kebab inside of each wrap, fold over, and secure with string.
- Place cedar-wrapped halibut skewers on the grill and cook for 15-20 minutes.
- Halibut is done once it reaches an internal temperature of 145 degrees F.
- Remove and carefully unwrap the kebabs. Serve.
Cedar Wrapped Halibut Skewers
- 2-2 1/2 pounds halibut fillet cut into 1 1/2" chunks
- 4 cedar wraps with ties
- 4 skewers
- 2 lemons, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons clarified butter, melted (you can subsitute with melted unsalted butter instead)
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1-2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 teaspoon thyme fresh
- 1/4 teaspoon salt (add more if needed)
- 1/4-1/2 teaspoon lemon pepper (adjust to your liking)
- Soak cedar wraps in tepid water for 30-40 minutes.
- Preheat grill for medium heat.
- Combine oil, clarified butter (ghee), garlic, thyme, lemon juice, salt, and lemon pepper in a bowl. Set aside.
- Cut fish into 1 1/2" chunks. Slice lemons into thin slices; they should fold over easily without breaking. Alternate fish pieces with folded lemon slices. Repeat process for remaining skewers. Brush each one with olive oil-lemon juice mixture.
- Remove cedar wraps from water and blot dry with paper towels. Set one halibut kebab inside of each wrap, fold over and secure with string.
- Place cedar wrapped skewers on the grill, close the lid cook for 15-20 minutes, or until the internal temperature of the fish reaches 145 degrees F.
- Remove from grill, unwrap and serve with your favorite sides, or condiments.