This is a protein packed and nutritious grilled chicken dish. These breasts are marinated in a lemon-basil mixture and grilled perfectly. They are then topped with sliced tomato, fresh mozzarella, and a delicious balsamic reduction. Serve this Chicken Caprese on the Grill all by itself, on a salad or over pasta.
Chicken Caprese on the Grill
- 3 large chicken breasts skinless and boneless
- 1 cup balsamic vinegar
- Juice of 2 lemons
- 2 cloves garlic peeled
- 5 basil leaves roughly chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 3 medium tomatoes sliced
- 6 slices fresh mozzarella use more if needed
- 2 tablespoons chopped basil
- Place marinade ingredients in a blender or small food processor. Blend until the mixture is fully pureed.
- Cut chicken breast in half vertically. Place halves into a resealable plastic bag or glass dish. Pour marinade mixture over top and toss to coat, seal bag or cover dish with plastic wrap and place into the refrigerator for 30 minutes.
- While chicken is marinating, it is time to reduce the balsamic vinegar. Simmer over medium heat for 4 minutes, stirring often. Reduce heat to low and continue simmering for an additional 6 minutes, or until reduced by half. The mixture should coat the back of a spoon. Remove from heat, cover and keep warm.
- Preheat grill for medium-high heat.
- Remove chicken from bag and place onto the grill grate. Cook for 3-4 minutes per side. Reduce heat or move to a cooler part of the grill to finish cooking. Once the internal temperature at the thickest part of the breast reaches 165 degrees F, they are done.
- Place cooked chicken onto a clean platter. Top each piece with mozzarella, tomato, balsamic reduction, and chopped basil. Serve immediately.