This is protein-packed Chicken Caprese on the Grill, is a nutritious dish that will quickly become one of your favorites. The breasts are marinated in a simple lemon-basil mixture, grilled to perfection, then topped with sliced tomato, fresh mozzarella, and a delicious balsamic reduction. Serve this Chicken Caprese on the Grill as the main course, in a salad or over pasta. This dish works perfectly for brunch, lunch, and dinner, and makes a great weeknight meal.
What is Caprese? It is an Italian-inspired dish based on antipasto which combines sliced tomatoes, fresh mozzarella cheese, basil leaves, olive oil, and a drizzle of balsamic vinegar. This flavor combination extends past antipasto and is found in Caprese salads, pizzas, sandwiches, and even grilled chicken.
What is a reduction? A balsamic vinegar reduction simply means reducing the liquid by half. To accomplish this, place the required amount of balsamic in a saucepan, bring to a high simmer, reduce the heat, and let the vinegar go until it thickens and takes on a syrup-like appearance. You can also use a flavored balsamic for this recipe. I recommend fig, cherry, or raspberry.
What this recipe entails:
Time: The chicken will need 30 minutes to marinate and 15 minutes to cook on the grill.
Ingredients: You’ll need chicken breasts, balsamic vinegar, fresh basil leaves, fresh mozzarella cheese, lemons, garlic, honey, salt, and black pepper.
Equipment: You’ll need a gas or charcoal grill. You can also cook the chicken in a baking sheet or cast-iron skillet in your oven at 375 degrees F. You can also use an air fryer or indoor grill. As always, follow manufacturer recommendations for temperature settings and cooking times.
Need another option? Here are some more chicken breast recipes to try:
Chicken Caprese on the Grill
- 3 chicken breasts large sized, skinless and boneless
- 1 cup balsamic vinegar
- 2 lemons juiced
- 2 cloves garlic peeled
- 5 basil leaves roughly chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 3 medium tomatoes sliced
- 6 slices fresh mozzarella use more if needed
- 2 tablespoons chopped basil
- Place marinade ingredients in a blender or small food processor. Blend until the mixture is fully pureed.
- Cut chicken breast in half vertically. Place halves into a resealable plastic bag or glass dish. Pour marinade mixture over top and toss to coat, seal bag or cover dish with plastic wrap and place into the refrigerator for 30 minutes.
- While chicken is marinating, it is time to reduce the balsamic vinegar. Simmer over medium heat for 4 minutes, stirring often. Reduce heat to low and continue simmering for an additional 6 minutes, or until reduced by half. The mixture should coat the back of a spoon. Remove from heat, cover and keep warm.
- Preheat grill for medium-high heat.
- Remove chicken from bag and place onto the grill grate. Cook for 3-4 minutes per side. Reduce heat or move to a cooler part of the grill to finish cooking. Once the internal temperature at the thickest part of the breast reaches 165 degrees F, they are done.
- Place cooked chicken onto a clean platter. Top each piece with mozzarella, tomato, balsamic reduction, and chopped basil. Serve immediately.