Chili and Brown Sugar Barbecue Sauce
This Southwestern inspired sauce is great on beef, chicken, pork, and some meat substitutes. Use as a basting sauce while grilling or simply serve on the side. The lime juice, chili powder, and cumin blend beautifully with the tomato and the sweetness of the brown sugar, to create a mouthwatering taste experience for your next cookout.
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup Heinz chili sauce
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Place all ingredients in a medium saucepan. Let simmer over for 8-10 minutes over medium low heat, stirring often. Turn the heat to low if necessary.
- Once ingredients have blended well and brown sugar has dissolved, remove pan from heat and allow to cool for 5 minutes before using.
- If making ahead of time, simply place into a well sealed jar or air tight container and store in refrigerator for up to 1 week.
- Reheat sauce before using.