Attention spicy food lovers! Elevate your smoked ribs game with this simple yet flavorful homemade Chipotle Rib Rub. With just a few ingredients, you’ll be able to create a delicious rub that will make your taste buds sing!
This chipotle rub will definitely wake you up and keep you energized throughout the meal! If you’re looking for a spicy seasoning with a touch of sweetness for ribs or pork roasts, you have to give this recipe a try. It makes enough rub for 2-3 slabs of ribs. And as always, adjust recipe ingredients to suit your spice level.
What you’ll need
- Regular chili powder (the mild, earthy American variety)
- Hot chipotle chili powder (this is the star of the show!)
- Brown sugar (dark brown preferred)
- Black pepper (medium grind or 16 gauge)
- Coarse salt (kosher salt or sea salt)
- White sugar (granulated)
- Granulated garlic (substitute with garlic powder)
Making and using a chipotle rib rub
- Combine rub ingredients in a medium-sized bowl.
- For finer textured chipotle rib rub. Transfer the mixture to a food processor (or spice grinder) and grind to your preferred consistency.
- Apply to pork ribs and let stand for 30 minutes before cooking.
- Make this chipotle rub ahead of time and store it in an airtight container in the cupboard for 3-6 months.
- Check on it periodically to ensure the brown sugar has not dried out. Stir it, seal it tightly and return it to the cupboard.
- Use about 1/4 cup of seasoning mixture on baby backs and up to 1/2 cup for spare ribs. Increase recipe to suit your needs.
- Discard any chipotle rub that has come into contact with raw meat.
Try these chipotle recipes!
- 1/2 cup chili powder
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup black pepper
- 2 tablespoons coarse salt
- 2 tablespoons cayenne (add more or else to suit tastes)
- 2 tablespoons hot chipotle chili powder
- 1 tablespoon white sugar
- 1 tablespoon granulated garlic
- Combine seasoning rub ingredients in a medium sized bowl, Apply to meat portion of ribs. Remember that what sticks to the meat is all that's needed! Grill, smoke, or bake according to directions.
- Make this rub ahead of time and store in an air tight container in the cupboard for 3-6 months. Check on it periodically to make sure that the brown sugar has not dried out. Give it a stir, seal tightly and return to the cupboard.
- Discard any rub that has come into contact with raw meat.
Looking for more ideas? See my list of the best BBQ Pork Rib Rubs.