These flavorful Smoky Chipotle Skirt Steaks are marinated in a fantastic cumin-chipotle mixture then grilled hot and fast. These steaks are simply delicious and work well sliced and served with rice and beans or chopped and added to tacos. Divine!
While this recipe calls for skirt steak, you can certainly use flank, hanger or flat iron steak instead.
Smoky Chipotle Skirt Steaks – The Ingredients:
- Skirt Steak, 2 pounds
- Cilantro leaves, garnish
- Cherry tomatoes, garnish
- Green onions
- Chipotle in adobo
- Olive oil
- Lime zest AND juice, always zest first, then juice second.
- Tomato paste
- Garlic, minced
- Cumin powder
- Salt and black pepper
- Dried oregano (Mexican oregano preferred)
- Chop the green onions and separate the green portions from white portions.
- Place the white portions in a bowl and combine with the remaining marinade ingredients. Stir to combine.
- Place skirt steaks in a resealable plastic bag. Use two if needed.
- Pour the mixture over the meat, making sure it is well coated. Seal the bag and place it into refrigerator for 2-6 hours. For thicker steaks like flank or flat-iron, marinate for 4-12 hours.
Grilling Smoky Chipotle Skirt Steaks:
- Preheat your grill for 375 degrees F or medium-high heat.
- Remove steaks from the bag and place them onto the grates.
- Cook 5-6 minutes per side, depending on thickness or desired doneness of meat. Refer to my steak temperature guide to determine the right temperature for you. I recommend medium to medium-well, as skirt steak can be quite chewy if it’s too rare.
- If you are grilling flank steak or flat-iron, cook for 8-10 minutes per side. Flat-iron is great at medium doneness.
- Once cooked, remove the smoky chipotle skirt steaks from heat and place them onto a large clean cutting board. Rest for 5 minutes.
- Cut into thin slices and top with green parts of onion, chopped cherry tomatoes, and cilantro leaves. Serve immediately.
- If you choose to use the skirt steak in tacos, chop the tomatoes and cilantro together, then dice the steak into small pieces. Load everything into warmed tortillas and top with queso or guacamole.
- Store leftover chipotle skirt steak in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 3-4 days.
Chipotle Skirt Steaks
- 2 pounds skirt steak
- 1/4 cup cilantro leaves roughly chopped
- 10 cherry tomatoes washed and halved
- For marinade:
- 2 green onions finely chopped
- 1 large chipotle pepper in adobo sauce minced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1-2 tablespoons adobo sauce (depending on preference)
- juice and zest of two limes
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons cumin powder
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- Chop green onions and separate green from white portions. Place the white portions in a bowl and combine with remaining marinade ingredients.
- Place skirt steak in a resealable plastic bag. Use two if necessary. Pour mixture over meat making sure that all surfaces are well coated. Seal bag and place into refrigerator for 2-6 hours. For thicker flat steaks, marinate for 4-12 hours.
- Preheat grill for medium high heat.
- Remove steaks from bag and place onto the grill. Cook 5-6 minutes per side based on thickness or desired doneness of meat. If grilling flank steak or flat-iron, cook for 8-10 minutes per side.
- Once cooked, remove from heat and place onto a large clean cutting board. Cut into thin slices and top with green parts of onion, chopped cherry tomatoes, and cilantro leaves. Serve immediately.