Chive and Cheddar Corn Pudding is an amazing twist on corn pudding. This classic Southern staple is creamy, delicious, and contains just the right amount of corn sweetness and savory goodness.
What is Corn Pudding?
Corn pudding is a Southern baked dish made of whole kernel corn (and sometimes fresh, creamed, canned, or frozen corn), a binding agent, milk, and cheese. This savory pudding originated in Appalachia and has since spread to different areas. Corn pudding is easy to make, pairs well with most meats, and is served hot or cold.
- Creamed corn, 14-15 ounces
- Sweet corn, about 12-15 ounces
- Shredded sharp cheddar cheese – Make it spicier with shredded pepper jack cheese, or use a smoked gouda for a smokier corn pudding.
- Evaporated milk, 12 ounces – If you do not have evaporated milk on hand, reach for whole milk, half and half, or coconut milk.
- Large eggs
- Butter or olive oil
- Fresh chives
- Granulated sugar
- Salt and black pepper
Steps by step instructions:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Grease a 9 x 9 casserole pan with oil.
- Combine ingredients in a large bowl and pour content into a casserole dish.
- Bake for chive and cheddar corn pudding for 45-50 minutes, until nicely browned around the edges.
- To test for doneness, place a toothpick through the center of the pudding. If it comes out clean, the dish is done. If not, return it to the oven, cook for an additional 7-10 minutes, and re-test.
- Once cooked through, remove from oven and let the chive and cheddar corn pudding sit for 15-20 minutes before serving.
- You can make this recipe savory by reducing or completely omitting the sugar and adding a little more cheese and some canned Hatch chilis or chopped jalapeno.
Chive and Cheddar Corn Pudding on the Smoker
- Prepare your smoker (or grill) for 350 degrees F.
- Use mild fruitwood for this recipe.
- Use either a large cast-iron skillet or disposable aluminum pan ( 8″ x 8 ” or 9″ x 9″) for this recipe. If using cast iron, add a little oil to the pan and set it on the smoker as it heats up.
- Combine chive and cheddar corn pudding ingredients as instructed.
- Carefully pour the mixture into the cast-iron skillet or aluminum pan.
- Close the lid of your smoker (or grill), and cook the corn pudding for 25 minutes, or until it is brown around the edges and a toothpick comes out clean.
- Once cooked through, remove the pan from the smoker, and let the corn pudding rest for 30 minutes.
What to serve with it
Chive and Cheddar Corn Pudding
- 1 14-15 ounce can creamed corn
- 1 12-15 ounce can sweet corn
- 1 1/4 cups shredded sharp cheddar
- 1 can evaporated milk
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 tablespoons melted butter or olive oil
- 1 tablespoon chopped chives
- 2 teaspoons granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- few dashes of ground allspice
- 1-2 teaspoons olive oil
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 9 x 9 casserole pan with vegetable oil. Combine corn pudding ingredients in large bowl and pour into casserole dish. Bake for 45-50 minutes, until nicely browned around the edges.
- To test for doneness, simply place a toothpick through center of pudding and if it comes out clean, the dish is done. If not, return to the oven and cook for an additional 7-10 minutes and re-test.
- Once cooked through, remove from oven and let sit for 10 minutes before serving.
- You can make this recipe savory by reducing or completely omitting the sugar, and adding a little more cheese and some canned Hatch chilis, or chopped jalapeno.