Classic Barbecue Rib Sauce
This sauce certainly produces a delicious rack of BBQ Ribs. Whether they are smoked low and slow or baked in the oven, this classic barbecue Rib sauce will add a touch of heat, a bit of sweet and heat to the final product. As always, adjust the amount of cayenne used in this recipe to suit your tastes.
- 2 cups ketchup
- 1/3 cup dark brown sugar
- 1/4 cup minced onion
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 tablespoons water
- 2-3 cloves garlic crushed
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon liquid smoke
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne use less if preferred
- pinch of salt
- ground black pepper to taste
- In food processor or blender, blend onion and water into a puree. Heat a medium saucepan over a medium heat. Add olive oil. Once the oil is warm, add onion puree. Simmer for 2-3 minutes. Add remaining ingredients. Mix thoroughly and simmer on low for 10-12 minutes.
- Once cooked, allow the sauce to cool to room temperature before using, about 20-30 minutes. If making ahead, place in an airtight container and store in the refrigerator for up to five days after.