Cumin and Chipotle Marinated Skirt Steak
This flavorful skirt steak is marinated in an cumin-chipotle mixture and grilled hot and fast. While this recipe calls for skirt steak, you can certainly use flank or flat iron instead. Slice and serve meat in warm tortillas or over rice.
- 2 pounds skirt steak
- 1/4 cup cilantro leaves, roughly chopped
- 10 cherry tomatoes, washed and halved
- For marinade:
- 2 green onions, finely chopped
- 1 large chipotle pepper in adobo sauce, minced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1-2 tablespoons adobo sauce (depending on preference)
- juice and zest of two limes
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons cumin powder
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- Chop green onions and separate green from white portions. Place the white portions in a bowl and combine with remaining marinade ingredients.
- Place skirt steak in a resealable plastic bag. Use two if necessary. Pour mixture over meat making sure that all surfaces are well coated. Seal bag and place into refrigerator for 2-6 hours. For thicker flat steaks, marinate for 4-12 hours.
- Preheat grill for medium high heat.
- Remove steaks from bag and place onto the grill. Cook 5-6 minutes per side based on thickness or desired doneness of meat. If grilling flank steak or flat-iron, cook for 8-10 minutes per side.
- Once cooked, remove from heat and place onto a large clean cutting board. Cut into thin slices and top with green parts of onion, chopped cherry tomatoes, and cilantro leaves. Serve immediately.
IMAGE BY: Sabrina Baksh