I first developed this recipe in 2013, by smoking pumpkins and using the pureed flesh as the filling for the pies. It was a huge hit. Not only did it provide a mild smokiness to this popular holiday dessert. It brought out the deep flavors of the pumpkin and the earthiness of the spices. Top this smoked pumpkin pie with sweetened whipped cream and a little caramel sauce for the perfect dessert.
Derrick’s Ultimate Smoked Pumpkin Pie Recipe
- 2 cups pureed smoked pumpkin
- 1 can of sweetened condensed milk 14 ounces
- 2 eggs
- 1 tablespoon bourbon
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon powdered nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon powdered ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon cloves
- 1 9-inch pie crust uncooked
- Whipped cream sweetened or unsweetened
- Caramel sauce plain or salted
- Preheat oven for 425 degrees F.
- Whisk together smoked pumpkin puree with eggs, condensed bourbon, and spices. Place the pie shell onto a baking tray. Pour pumpkin filling into pie shell.
- Bake at 425 degrees for 8 minutes. Reduce oven temperature to 350 degrees F., and cook for an additional 40-45 minutes, or until the filling has set up and an inserted knife (or toothpick comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and let cool for 1 hour before serving. To serve, simply top each slice with whipped cream and a little caramel sauce. You can omit the caramel sauce all together or in lieu of something else.