Doctored BBQ Sauce
There are tons of bottled barbecue sauces out there to try, but this recipe will help you improve on them. The best advice is to buy one with a mellow flavor and work from there. Look for one that is not heavy on smoke or dense in color or flavor.
Servings: 3 Cups
- 1 bottle store bought barbecue sauce
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 teaspoons molasses
- 1 teaspoon hot sauce
- 1 teaspoon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- Heat butter in large saucepan. Add remaining ingredients and let mixture simmer of medium-low heat for 5-6 minutes, stirring often.
- Once brown sugar has melted through an sauce is well combined, remove sauce from heat and allow to cool. Store in a jar or plastic bottle in the refrigerator for up to one week after preparation.
- Sauce works well on chicken, pork, beef, and some meat substitutes. You can also use this as a table sauce.