Doctored BBQ Sauce
There are a ton of bottled barbecue sauces on the market. Some of which are okay. But this recipe will help you take them from okay to oh yay! My best advice is to buy a bottled sauce with a mellow flavor and work up from there. Look for one that is not heavy on smoke or deep in color..
- 1 bottle store bought barbecue sauce
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1/2 cup cola
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 teaspoons molasses
- 1 teaspoon hot sauce
- 1 teaspoon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- Heat butter in large saucepan. Add remaining sauce ingredients and let mixture simmer on medium-low heat for 5-6 minutes, stirring often.
- Once brown sugar has melted through an sauce is well combined, remove sauce from heat and cool for 20-30 minutes. Use right away or store in a jar, plastic bottle, or air tight container in the refrigerator for up to one week after preparation.
- Sauce works well on chicken, pork, beef, and some meat substitutes. You can also use this doctored delight as a table sauce.
Photo by: Sabrina Baksh