Easy Dr. Pepper BBQ Sauce
Dr. Pepper adds a nice sweet base to any barbecue sauce. This recipe is thick, delicious, and perfect served with beef, chicken, pork, and even slow smoked lamb. A great addition to any barbecue meal.
Servings: 3 Cups
- 2 cups ketchup
- 2 cups Dr. Pepper
- 1/2 sweet onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/3 cup cider vinegar
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 tablespoons molasses
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon mild chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon liquid smoke (optional)
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- In a medium saucepan, heat olive oil. Add chopped onions and cook over medium to medium-low heat for 3 minutes, stirring often. The object is to "sweat" the onions, not brown them, so adjust the heat accordingly. Add garlic and cook for another 30 seconds to 1 minute.
- Add all of the remaining ingredients except butter and liquid smoke. Let sauce simmer for 8-10 minutes over medium-low to low heat. Stir occasionally.
- Remove from heat, stir in butter and liquid smoke. Let sauce cool for 10 minutes then pour into a blender or food processor. You might need to do this in batches. Puree mixture until smooth and thick. Use immediately or store in an air tight container in the refrigerator for up to 1 week after preparation. Reheat before serving.