These grilled cauliflower steaks are perfect to pair with any of your barbecued or grilled proteins. But even better, they can stand alone as a main course. If you have a vegan or vegetarian loved one, they will absolutely love these! These carb-conscious cauliflower steaks are easy to make and taste delicious.
What are cauliflower steaks?
These veggie steaks are thick slices of cauliflower seasoned and cooked on a grill or in the oven. Because of their size and shape, they appear steak-like.
How to cut cauliflower into steaks
Cauliflower: You will need 2 whole heads of cauliflower, cut into 3/4″ slabs. Trim off any new growth that may appear inside the cauliflower, and cut off about 1/4″ to 1/2″ of the stem. It is important not to remove the stems completely. They will keep your veggie steaks intact and make grilling easier.
Flavoring grilled cauliflower steaks
- Olive Oil and Lime Juice: The oil and acid will be the base of your flavoring. Substitute with vegetable oil if you do not have olive oil on hand. Always use freshly squeezed citrus juices for recipes when possible. Not only is it cheaper to purchase limes, but the taste is superior to anything bottled.
- Cilantro: This aromatic herb adds a deep rich flavor to most foods, though we understand that some folks are averse to the taste. We recommend using Italian (flat-leaf) parsley if you are looking for a substitute. If you’d like something more aromatic for this grilled cauliflower steak recipe, consider using fresh rosemary, tarragon, or mint. Use 1-2 tablespoons of these strong herbs rather than a 1/4 cup as the recipe instructs.
- Spices: This recipe uses cumin, ancho chili powder, salt, and pepper. Cumin powder is far easier to source than ancho chili powder (ground poblano peppers). While you can order it online, regular chili powder is a good substitute that is easy to find in most grocery stores.
- Grilling: The method for cooking these cauliflower steaks is hot and fast. They get roughly 10-12 minutes of total cook time on the grill. So aim for medium heat (350 degrees F).
- 2 heads cauliflower
- Olive oil
- 3 limes
- Cumin powder
- Ancho chili powder (sub with American chili powder)
- Sea salt (or kosher salt)
- Black pepper
- Fresh cilantro (sub with parsley)
How to make grilled cauliflower steaks
- Preheat grill to medium heat, or 350 degrees F.
- Cut cauliflower into 3/4″ thick steaks.
- Place onto a large parchment-lined cookie sheet (or two).
- Add olive oil, lime juice, and spices in a small bowl. Brush well with the mixture on both sides of the cauliflower pieces. Be gentle.
- Place onto a hot grill, close the lid, and cook for 5-6 minutes per side. If any mixture is left over, continue basting cauliflower as it cooks.
- Remove from heat, place onto a serving platter, garnish with cilantro leaves, and serve.
Easy Grilled Cauliflower Steaks
- 2 heads cauliflower, cut into 3/4″ slabs
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- juice of three limes
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 tablespoons cumin powder
- 1 1/2 tablespoons ancho chili powder
- 2 teaspoons sea salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons black pepper
- 1/4 cup cilantro leaves, roughly chopped (for garnish)
- Preheat grill for medium heat.
- Cut cauliflower into steaks as specified above. Place onto a large parchment lined cookie sheet (or two).
- Combine olive oil, lime juice, and spices together in a small bowl. Brush well with mixture on both sides of cauliflower pieces. Be gentle.
- Place onto grill grates and cook for 5-6 minutes per side. If there is any mixture leftover, continue to baste cauliflower as it cooks.
- Remove from heat, place onto a serving platter, garnish will cilantro leaves and serve.
Photos by: tbralnina/Depositphotos