These easy grilled cauliflower steaks make an amazing low-carb side dish to pair with any of your barbecued or grilled proteins. In fact, these cauliflower steaks stand on their own as a main course. So if you have a vegan or vegetarian loved one, they will love these!
Making Cauliflower Steaks:
Cauliflower: You will need 2 whole heads of cauliflower, cut into 3/4″ slabs. Trim off any new growth that may appear inside the cauliflower, and cut off about 1/4″ to 1/2″ of the stem. It is important not to remove the stems completely. They will keep your veggie steaks intact and make the cooking process easier.
Olive Oil and Lime Juice: The oil and acid will act as the base of your flavoring. Substitute with vegetable oil if you do not have olive oil on hand. Always use freshly squeezed citrus juices for recipes when possible. Not only is it cheaper to purchase limes, but the taste is by far superior to anything bottled.
Cilantro: This aromatic herb adds a deep rich flavor to most foods, though we understand that some folks are averse to the taste. If you are looking for a substitute, we recommend using Italian (flat-leaf) parsley instead. If you’d like something more aromatic for this cauliflower recipe, consider using fresh rosemary or tarragon, or even mint. Use 1-2 tablespoons of these strong herbs rather than a 1/4 cup as instructed in the recipe.
Spices: This recipe calls for cumin, ancho chili powder, salt, and pepper. Cumin powder is far easier to source than ancho chili powder (ground poblano peppers). While you can order it online, a good substitute that is easy to find in most grocery stores would be regular chili powder.
Grilling: The method for cooking these cauliflower steaks is hot and fast. They get roughly 10-12 minutes of total cook time on the grill. So aim for medium heat (350 degrees F).
As mentioned above, this easy grilled cauliflower steaks can be served by themselves or paired with grilled steak or chicken. We have served this with grilled fish as well. Absolutely delicious, nutritious, and keto-friendly too! A must try recipe.
Easy Grilled Cauliflower Steaks
- 2 heads cauliflower, cut into 3/4″ slabs
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- juice of three limes
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 tablespoons cumin powder
- 1 1/2 tablespoons ancho chili powder
- 2 teaspoons sea salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons black pepper
- 1/4 cup cilantro leaves, roughly chopped (for garnish)
- Preheat grill for medium heat.
- Cut cauliflower into steaks as specified above. Place onto a large parchment lined cookie sheet (or two).
- Combine olive oil, lime juice, and spices together in a small bowl. Brush well with mixture on both sides of cauliflower pieces. Be gentle.
- Place onto grill grates and cook for 5-6 minutes per side. If there is any mixture leftover, continue to baste cauliflower as it cooks.
- Remove from heat, place onto a serving platter, garnish will cilantro leaves and serve.
Photos by: tbralnina/Depositphotos