While this is a “from scratch” but easy queso dip, it is still an easy recipe to follow. Your tastebuds will do a happy dance and so will your guests. Remember, you can always add things like corn or cooked chorizo to change it up. However, it is perfect just the way it is. Serve this delicious creamy dip with sliced bread or chips.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 small shallot minced
- 1 small jalapeno seeded and minced
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1 8 oz package of cream cheese cut into eighths
- 3 cups shredded cheddar cheese mild or medium (depending on preference)
- 1 1/2 cups evaporated milk
- 1 10 ounce can diced tomatoes with chilies mild
- 1/2 teaspoon salt add more if needed
- Pinch black pepper
- In a large skillet, melt butter and add shallot, jalapeno, salt, and black pepper. Cook over medium-low heat for about 3-5 minutes until the onions become translucent. Add garlic and cook for an additional 30-45 seconds.
- Add 3/4 cup of the evaporated milk and cream cheese pieces to skillet. Gently stir until the mixture is well combined. Add half of the shredded cheese. Stir until melted through. Add the remaining half and repeat process. Add remaining evaporated milk to skillet and cook for an additional 2 minutes.
- Stir in diced tomatoes with chilies and turn off the heat. Taste for salt content and add more if needed.
- Transfer queso dip to a serving bowl and top with diced tomatoes, pepper, or garnish of choice. Serve with bread or corn chips.