This Southern staple is the perfect side to grilled or barbecued meats. A welcome favorite for potlucks, parties, cookouts, and on game day.
Servings: 8 People
- 3 1/2 cups corn (frozen or canned)
- 1 large red bell pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- 1 can cooked lima beans, drained
- 1 can black eyed beans, drained
- 3 large green onion, thinly sliced (white and green parts separated
- 6-8 okra, sliced
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- handful of flat leaf parsley, roughly chopped
- Heat butter in a large pot. Add white parts of green onion and garlic. Cook for 1 minute, stirring often. Add chopped bell pepper and okra. Cook over medium-low heat for 7 minutes, stirring occasionally. Reduce heat if needed. Add remaining ingredients (except parsley) and heat for 3 minutes.
- Remove from succotash from heat and stir in parsley. Scoop out in to serving dish and garnish with remaining green onion slices.
Photo by: Susan Lucas Hoffman