Succotash is a Southern staple that is the perfect side for grilled or barbecued meats. A welcome favorite at potlucks, parties, cookouts, and even on game day. Photo by: Susan Lucas Hoffman
- 3 1/2 cups corn (frozen or canned)
- 1 red bell pepper large sized, seeded and finely chopped
- 14 ounces lima beans cooked or canned, and drained
- 14 ounces black eyed beans cooked or canned, and drained
- 3 green onions white and green parts separated, and sliced
- 6-8 okra sliced
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 cup parsley roughly chopped
- Heat butter in a large pot. Add white parts of green onion and garlic. Cook for 1 minute, stirring often. Add chopped bell pepper and okra. Cook over medium-low heat for 7 minutes, stirring occasionally. Reduce heat if needed. Add remaining ingredients (except parsley) and heat for 3 minutes.
- Remove from succotash from heat and stir in parsley. Scoop out in to serving dish and garnish with remaining green onion slices.
Serving: 1gCalories: 195kcalCarbohydrates: 38gProtein: 11gFat: 2gSaturated Fat: 1gCholesterol: 1mgSodium: 159mgPotassium: 641mgFiber: 9gSugar: 7gVitamin A: 1086IUVitamin C: 31mgCalcium: 48mgIron: 3mg
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!