Festive Poultry Brine
This is the perfect wet brine to use on holiday turkeys, chicken, and even pork. Simply adjust the brining times to correspond with your choice of meat. This recipe makes enough brine for a 13-18 pound turkey.
- 1 gallon of cold water ice cold
- 1 gallon vegetable stock
- 1 1/4 cups coarse salt
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar packed
- 3 tablespoons candied ginger
- 3 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons allspice berries
- 1 1/2 tablespoons black peppercorns
- 4-6 large bay leaves
- Combine the mixture in a large plastic food prep bucket or extra large plastic bowl. Gently stir the mixture until salt and sugar dissolve.
- Submerge turkey into the mixture, cover bowl or bucket, and place into the refrigerator for 24 hours.
- Larger pork roasts should brine for at least 8 hours, but no more than 12 hours.
- For whole chickens (this is enough for 2-3. Depending on size), brine for 6-8 hours.
Photo by: Image by monicore from Pixabay
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!