Four Roses Bourbon BBQ Sauce
This recipe is for one of the best bourbon BBQ sauces you’ll ever make. Sweet with a bit of bourbon bite, this sauce is perfect for slathering onto barbecued chicken and pork ribs.Photo by: Sabrina Baksh/derrickriches.com
- 1 cup tomato sauce 8 ounces
- 1/2 sweet onion chopped
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1/2 cup brown sugar packed
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/4 cup bourbon Four Roses Bourbon
- 1/4 cup cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons butter unsalted preferred
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce or tamari
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika not smoked
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder mild
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 3 dashes cayenne pepper
- In a medium saucepan, heat the olive oil. Add chopped onion, and cook over medium-low heat for 2-3 minutes, stirring often. Once the onions become translucent, add the minced garlic, and cook for 1 minute.
- Add all remaining ingredients, EXCEPT the butter, to the saucepan. Turn up the heat, and bring sauce to a high simmer for 15-20 seconds. Stir often and watch for burning. Reduce heat to low, cover pot, and let the sauce simmer for 10-12 minutes.
- Transfer sauce ingredients to a blender and puree mixture. Return to the pot, and let the sauce simmer uncovered over low heat for 10-15 more minutes, stirring occasionally. Once the sauce has reduced and thickened, remove the pan from heat, stir in butter, cover, and keep warm.
- To use: brush sauce on in layers during the last 30 minutes of cooking time. Strive for three applications. Ideally, you want this sauce to caramelize on the meat--ever so slightly.
- You can make this sauce ahead of time then store it in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days. Rewarm before applying to grilled and barbecued foods. This sauce is also great served on the side.
Calories: 497kcalCarbohydrates: 87gProtein: 3gFat: 12gSaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 1mgSodium: 1082mgPotassium: 595mgFiber: 2gSugar: 82gVitamin A: 597IUVitamin C: 13mgCalcium: 94mgIron: 2mg
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!