These short ribs and butterflied, marinated and grilled hot and fast, making fantastic Galbi Bowls. Once cooked, the meat is sliced and served on top of sticky rice. Then top with toasted pine nuts or toasted seeds, and julienne green onion. Serve with a little pickled vegetable or kimchi for an added touch.
- 2 pounds beef short ribs
- 1/4 cup toasted pine nuts or 2 tablespoons of toasted sesame seeds
- 2 green onions julienne
- 2 green onions minced
- 2 1/2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 1/2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons grated Asian Pear (optional)
- 1 tablespoon rice wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1 teaspoon granulated onion
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- Rinse ribs under cold water and pat dry with paper towels.
- Butterfly beef ribs. Lay each rib on its side. Cut along the bone almost all the way through. Leave about a 1/4 inch of meat on the bottom. Flip the rib over and cut about 1/2 an inch away from the bone, again almost all the way through. Repeat this process until you can lay out the rib in a long, thin layer.
- Place ribs in a resealable plastic bag. Combine marinade mixture and pour over ribs. Seal bag and gently massage marinade into the meat until well coated. Place into the refrigerator for 3-6 hours.
- Preheat grill for high, direct heat. Remove ribs from bag and place onto grill. Grill on each side for about 4 to 5 minutes or until cooked through to the desired doneness.
- Once cooked, remove from grill and place onto a cutting board. Cut the meat away from bone and slice into thin strips. Place on top of rice with your choice of vegetable side.