Have you ever tried garlic pastrami burgers? If not, you are in for a treat. Legend says that the pastrami burger originated in California in the early 1970s, and popularized in Salt Lake City, Utah, my hometown! To this day, these burgers remain a beloved fast food item. Once you’ve tried a pastrami burger, you will understand just how delicious it is.
I am taking this one step further with this garlic pastrami burger recipe. These beefy patties are infused with garlicky goodness, grilled to perfection, and topped with warmed pastrami, a delicious sauce, and cheese. You just can’t go wrong with this burger in your mouth!
Ingredients for garlic pastrami burgers:
Ground beef chuck (80/20)
Pastrami (good quality)
Shredded lettuce (iceberg, green leaf, or romaine)
Prepared horseradish (substitute with relish)
Granulated onion or onion powder
How to make pastrami burgers:
- Prepare your dressing first. Simply stir together the mayonnaise, ketchup, prepared horseradish, and onion powder. Place the sauce into an airtight container in the refrigerator until ready to use.
- Cook your burgers as directed in the recipe. You can cook these hot and fast on your gas or charcoal unit, or if using a pellet grill, you can follow my pellet smoked burger technique. Using this method will produce smokier garlic pastrami burgers! I recommend oak, cherry, or mesquite pellets.
- Toast your hamburger buns! Brush the insides with a little melted butter or olive oil and place them open-side down on the grill for 2-3 minutes.
- Assemble as directed, and dollop on some of that delicious dressing for a creamy, garlicky, beefy burger!
Look for good quality pastrami. I usually get mine from the deli counter and ask for thin slices. Sometimes, I make my own pastrami and use that instead.
If you liked these garlic pastrami burgers, please try these recipes:
Garlic Pastrami Burgers
- 1 1/4 pounds ground beef chuck
- 1/2 pound pastrami (good quality)
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 4 slices swiss cheese
- 4 hamburger buns
- Shredded lettuce about 1-1 ½ cups
- 1/2 cup real mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 1 teaspoon horseradish prepared
- 1/2 teaspoon granulated onion
- Prepare the dressing by mixing together all called for ingredients in a small bowl. Cover and refrigerate until ready to use.
- Preheat grill for medium-high heat.
- Gently combine ground beef with minced garlic. Form into 4 equal-sized patties. Place onto the grill and cook for 5 minutes per side, or until the internal temperature reaches 165 degrees F.
- During the last few minutes. Top each burger with swiss cheese and 1/4 of the pastrami. Close the lid for 1-2 minutes and allow the cheese to melt and pastrami to warm through. At this point, if you choose, you can toast the hamburger buns by brushing cut side will oil and place on the grill grates.
- Remove patties (and buns) from the grill and assemble burgers with the addition of lettuce and dressing.