Grilled Achiote Shrimp Skewers
Want a grilled shrimp skewer packed with flavor? Keep reading because this recipe is for you! These jumbo shrimp are marinated in a flavorful citrus-achiote mixture, then cooked on the grill. Achiote adds a reddish color and has a subtle smoky flavor, but isn’t overpowering. These grilled shrimp skewers will quickly become one of your favorite seafood mains.Print Pin Rate
- 2 pounds jumbo shrimp peel and deveined
- 8-10 skewers
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro for garnish
- 1 cup orange juice
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1/2 teaspoon achiote powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper optional
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- Place peeled and deveined shrimp into a resealable plastic bag or a large enough glass dish with a lid.
- Combine marinade ingredients in a bowl. Divide mixture in half. Pour one half into the bag with shrimp. Gently coat all of the shrimp, seal bag or cover dish, and place into the refrigerator for 20-30 minutes.
- Place the other half of the marinade in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer on low for 3-4 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat, cover, and keep warm.
- Preheat grill for medium-high heat.
- Remove shrimp from the fridge and thread 5-6 shrimp on each skewer. Place the skewers on the grill and baste with sauce simmered in the saucepan. Cook shrimp for 2-3 minutes, turn, baste with sauce, and cook for an additional 2-3 minutes.
- Remove shrimp skewers from the grill and place onto a clean serving platter. Garnish with chopped cilantro and serve.
Photo by: kaninstudio/Depositphotos