This grilled apple-brie naan pizza follows a multi-step grilling process of grilling the apples first, then slicing and adding them to the pizza. Think of these as personal pizzas where a single naan bread creates the perfect portion. Don’t worry if you can’t find naan; any similar sized ready-made pizza crust or flatbread will do!
What is naan bread?
Like Mediterranean and Middle Eastern pita bread, naan is a popular flatbread found in South Asian cuisine. However, unlike pita, naan is made with yeast, yogurt, and milk. Some pita bread can be thinner and dryer in texture, while naan, particularly those available pre-packaged at most grocery stores, are softer and thicker. They make a delicious crust for these grilled apple-brie naan pizzas; however, you can substitute with a ready-made pizza crust or thicker pita varieties.
What you’ll to make Grilled Apple-Brie Naan Pizza:
Naan Bread (Stonefire offers a round variety)
Apples: We used golden delicious apples for this recipe, but any sweet apple will do!
Brie Cheese: Standard brie cheese will do. It melts beautifully, and the best part is that you do not have to remove the rind!
Maple Syrup: Look for “real” or “pure” maple syrup rather than anything labeled pancake syrup.
Nuts: We developed this recipe using toasted walnuts, but pecans or hazelnuts would also work well.
Olive Oil: Avoid extra virgin olive oil. However, you can use canola or vegetable oil if you do not have olive oil at your disposal.
Herbs: We use fresh thyme leave for this recipe because it compliments the apple-brie combination. You can substitute with a small amount of chopped sage if preferred.
-You can grill the apples ahead of time, slice them, and store the pieces in an airtight container in the refrigerator the day before using. Do not overcook, or the apples will become mushy.
-Serve this grilled apple-brie naan pizza as an appetizer. Slice into fourths and set them out on a charcuterie board, along with other items you’ll be serving. Add our Plank Grilled Brie with Fig Preserves recipe as well!
Grilled Apple-Brie Naan Pizza
- 6 Naan bread, small round variety
- 6 firm sweet apples, cored and quartered
- 8 ounces brie, cut into slices (rind on)
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans or walnuts
- 1/3 cup pure maple syrup, warmed
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves
- Preheat grill for medium-high heat.
- Brush apple quarters with a neutral flavored oil and place on grill. Cook for 2-3 minutes turning each piece once. Remove from grill and place onto a clean cutting board.
- Place naan on grill and cook one side for 2 minutes until toasted. Remove.
- Slice apples into 1/2 thick slices. Brush each naan on the cooked side with olive oil. Layer with apples and brie, alternating between the two. Top with pecans or walnuts.
- Place pizzas onto grill "uncooked" side down. Cook for 4-5 minutes until golden brown and cheese has melted. Remove from grill, drizzle each with warm maple syrup, and top with thyme. Slice and serve.