Grilled Caprese Bread
If you love buttery garlic bread and caprese sandwiches, then look no further. This grilled caprese bread utilizes both concepts, resulting in a delicious treat for week night meals and game night gatherings.
- 2 large loaves of French bread
- 1 cup unsalted butter (room temperature)
- 4 large tomatoes
- 3/4 cup fresh basil
- inch fresh mozzarella cheese (slice into 1/2" thick rounds)
- 4-5 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 teaspoons sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1/3 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1 pizza stone
- Cut loaves in half, lengthwise. On the rounder side, cut about 1/4-1/2 inch off the top to help balance the bread. Combine butter with salt, minced garlic, onion powder, and black pepper. Divide mixture into fourths and apply to cut side of each piece of bread. Add equal amounts of cheese rounds, basil leaves, and tomatoes on top.
- Put two halves onto pizza stone and place onto grill. Cook over medium heat for 15-17 minutes, or until bread has toasted and cheese and butter have melted. Remove from heat, drizzle with olive oil and balsamic, cut into pieces and serve. Repeat process with the remaining two halves.
- This bread does not save well, as the tomatoes become too mushy when rewarmed. So, it's best to make enough for your party, and no more.
Photo by: Sabrina Baksh