This protein-packed grilled chicken caprese is easy to make and insanely delicious! The chicken breasts are marinated in a simple lemon-basil mixture, grilled to perfection, and topped with tomatoes, fresh mozzarella and drizzled with a balsamic reduction.
Serve this grilled chicken caprese with a side dish, or chop it up and use it in salads and pasta dishes. This grilled chicken is perfect for any occasion, and makes a fast and easy weeknight meal. Not sure what caprese is? Read on and find out.
What is Caprese?
Caprese is an Italian-inspired antipasto which combines sliced tomatoes, fresh mozzarella cheese, basil leaves, olive oil, and a drizzle of balsamic vinegar. These ingredients can also be used in caprese salads, pizzas, sandwiches, and on grilled chicken. For this recipe, we will be using a balsamic reduction. Don’t worry, it is easier than it sounds. Find out more about reductions below.
What is a balsamic reduction?
A reduction refers to reducing the liquid by half. To do this, place the required amount of balsamic in a saucepan, bring to a high simmer, reduce the heat, and let the vinegar continue cooking until it thickens and takes on a syrup-like consistency. The result is a delicious topping for this gorgeous grilled chicken caprese. What’s even better is that you can use a flavored balsamic vinegar for this recipe. I recommend cherry or fig.
Now that we have the basics down, it’s time to make this delicious chicken! As mentioned above, you can substitute regular balsamic for a fruit-based version. Below is a list of ingredients and a ‘how-to’ guide for this recipe.
Grilled chicken caprese Ingredients:
- Skinless, bonless chicken breasts
- Balsamic vinegar
- Fresh basil
- Olive oil
- Salt and Pepper
- Fresh mozzarella cheese
How to Make it
- Blend lemon juice, garlic, basil, olive oil, honey, salt, and pepper in a blender or a small food processor.
- Cut chicken breast in half. Place the halves into a zip top plastic bag or glass dish.
- Pour the marinade over the top, toss to coat—seal bag, and place it in the fridge for 30-60 minutes.
- While chicken is marinating, it is time to reduce the balsamic vinegar.
- Simmer over medium heat for 4 minutes, stirring often. Reduce heat to low and continue simmering for an additional 6 minutes, or until reduced by half. The mixture should coat the back of a spoon. Remove from heat, cover, and keep warm.
Grilling the Chicken:
- Preheat your grill for 375 degrees (or medium-high heat).
- Place the marinated chicken breasts onto the grill grate, close lid cook for 3-4 minutes per side.
- Reduce heat, or move to an indirect cooking space on your grill) to finish cooking.
- Chicken is done once the internal temperature reaches 165 degrees F.
- Place grilled caprese chicken onto a clean platter. Top each piece with mozzarella cheese, tomato, the balsamic reduction, and chopped basil. Serve immediately.
Like this caprese chicken? Try these recipes:
- Grilled Cilantro-Lime Chicken Breasts
- Grilled Honey-Mustard Chicken Breasts
- Lemon-Pepper Chicken Breast Marinade
- Smoked Chicken Breasts
Chicken Caprese on the Grill
- 3 chicken breasts large sized, skinless and boneless
- 1 cup balsamic vinegar
- 2 lemons juiced
- 2 cloves garlic peeled
- 5 basil leaves roughly chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 3 medium tomatoes sliced
- 6 slices fresh mozzarella use more if needed
- 2 tablespoons chopped basil
- Place marinade ingredients in a blender or small food processor. Blend until the mixture is fully pureed.
- Cut chicken breast in half vertically. Place halves into a resealable plastic bag or glass dish. Pour marinade mixture over top and toss to coat, seal bag or cover dish with plastic wrap and place into the refrigerator for 30 minutes.
- While chicken is marinating, it is time to reduce the balsamic vinegar. Simmer over medium heat for 4 minutes, stirring often. Reduce heat to low and continue simmering for an additional 6 minutes, or until reduced by half. The mixture should coat the back of a spoon. Remove from heat, cover and keep warm.
- Preheat grill for medium-high heat.
- Remove chicken from bag and place onto the grill grate. Cook for 3-4 minutes per side. Reduce heat or move to a cooler part of the grill to finish cooking. Once the internal temperature at the thickest part of the breast reaches 165 degrees F, they are done.
- Place cooked chicken onto a clean platter. Top each piece with mozzarella, tomato, balsamic reduction, and chopped basil. Serve immediately.