Grilled Coconut Curry Halibut
This Southeast Asian inspired grilled halibut recipe is off the charts fantastic. The earthiness of the curry balances well with the soy, coconut milk, and spicy chili sauce. Serve with rice and extra sauce on top.Photo by: Sabrina Baksh
- 2 pounds halibut fillets or steaks
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced (garnish)
- For marinade:
- 1/2 cup coconut milk
- 1 tablespoon green curry paste
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon granulated onion
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
- pinch of salt
- basting sauce:
- 1/3 cup soy sauce
- juice of two limes
- 1 tablespoon sambal olek (chili sauce)
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon grated ginger
- 1 teaspoon oil
- 1-2 cloves garlic, minced
- Combine green curry with soy sauce, slowly stir in coconut milk. Add salt, pepper, and granulated onion.
- Place halibut in a large enough glass dish. Pour mixture over top. Using tongs, gently turn to coat. Cover dish with plastic wrap and place into refrigerator for 2 hours.
- In a small saucepan, heat oil. Add ginger and garlic and cook for 15- 30 seconds. Add remaining basting sauce ingredients and bring to a high simmer (light boil). Reduce heat to low and let mixture simmer for 3-4 minutes, stirring occasionally. Sauce will be fairly runny and that is okay. Reserve about 2-3 tablespoons of mixture for later.
- Preheat grill for medium-high heat. Once up to temperature, oil the grill grates well. Make about 4 passes on the grill to create a non-stick surface for the fish.
- Remove fish from marinade place onto the grill. Cook for 5 minutes, gently turn, baste liberally with basting sauce, and let cook another 3-4 minutes. Turn once more and baste liberally again.
- Once internal temperature of fish reaches 145 degrees, it is done. Very gently remove fish from grill, place onto a serving dish and top with warmed reserved basting sauce and sliced green onions. Serve immediately.