Grilled Dijon Crusted Rib Roast
A delicious rib roast, coated with a Dijon mustard, herb and garlic rub that turns into the perfect crust on the grill. Serve this along with the side sauce on holidays or any special occasion.
Servings: 8 People
- 1 4-5 pound rib roast
- 3-4 cups mesquite wood chips
- 1 aluminum drip pan
- for seasoning paste:
- 1/3 cup Dijon mustard
- 3-4 cloves garlic minced
- 1 small shallot, minced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1/2 tablespoons kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme lightly chopped
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh rosemary
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- for sauce:
- 1 1/2 cups sour cream
- 1/4 cup Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1 tablespoon dry ranch dressing mix
- 2 green onions, finely chopped
- Soak wood chips in water for 1 hour.
- Preheat grill for medium-low heat.
- While grill is heating, prepare seasoning paste and apply evenly to rib roast. Let roast stand at room temperature for 15-20 minutes before placing onto grill.
- Add pre soaked wood chips to grill according to manufacturer's recommendations. Place rib roast on grill rack. Be sure to have an aluminum drip pan filled with an inch of water underneath. Cook for 2 hours or more, adding fresh wood chips every 30 minutes,
- Once done, remove roast from grill and let stand (loosely tented with aluminum foil) for 10-20 minutes before carving.
- While roast is resting prepare sauce. Combine sour cream, 1/4 cup Dijon mustard, milk, green onion, and ranch dressing in a bowl. Serve on top of sliced rib roast or on the side.