These salmon fillets are marinated in a sweet and spicy Asian inspired sauce and then grilled to perfection This dish can be served up with your choice of vegetable or carb. If you’re trying to maintain healthy eating habits, but want to enjoy your backyard grill, this Grilled Firecracker Salmon recipe will not disappoint. Grilled salmon is a favorite of mine and this recipe, in particular, is a great way to add a little sweet and heat to a healthy protein.
Grilled Firecracker Salmon
- 4 salmon fillets 6 ounces each
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 2 green onions chopped
- 2 tablespoon low sodium soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon sambal chili sauce (substitute with sriracha, or 1 teaspoon pepper flakes)
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar
- 1 ¼ teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1/2 teaspoon grated ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Place salmon skin side down in a large glass baking dish.
- Combine marinade ingredients, and let stand for 2-3 minutes, stir a few times until sugar and salt have dissolved.
- Pour mixture over salmon. Cover the dish with plastic wrap, and place into the refrigerator for 45 minutes to 1 hour.
- Preheat grill for medium heat, or 350-375 degrees F.
- Oil grill grates right before adding the fish. To do this, saturate a folded paper towel with a high smoke point oil like grapeseed or olive oil. Using outdoor cooking tongs, grab hold of the oil paper towel and apply oil onto grill grates. Make a few passes.
- Remove salmon from marinade and place onto grill skin side down. Brush some of the leftover marinade on the flesh portion of fish, and discard the rest. Close the lid and let fish cook for 4-5 minutes per side (depending on thickness). To turn, use a large outdoor cooking spatula or two spatulas, to gently work the fish of the grate, and flip.
- Once the internal temperature reaches 145 degrees F, the fish is done. Remove, plate, and serve.
- You can plank cook this fish and cook it in your oven too!For plank cooking: soak wood planks for 30 minutes, blot dry. Place fillets onto planks skin side down, and onto the grill for 12-15 minutes, or until internal temperature reaches 145 degrees F. No need to turn the fish if its on a plank.For oven cooking: Place fish filets on a parchment lined baking sheet, and cook in an 350 degree oven for 20 minutes (depending on thickness), until it reaches an internal temperature of 145 degrees F.