These Grilled Lamb Kebabs with Saffron are succulent and delicious! Try this amazing recipe at your next cookout.
Lamb kebabs are as equally versatile and they are flavorful. Serve them straight from the grill with a side of rice and salad, or wrap them in a warmed pita with a delicious yogurt sauce on top. You can even remove the cooked lamb and add it to your favorite soups and stews. If you’re not a fan of lamb, you can certainly substitute with beef or chicken. See below for suggested marinating times.
Ingredients for Grilled Lamb Kebabs with Saffron:
- Vegetable or chicken stock
- Olive oil
- Onion: use either a white or red onion.
- Red wine vinegar
- Cumin powder
- Saffron threads: substitute with turmeric, annatto, or safflower
- Black pepper
- Boneless leg of lamb: you’ll need about 2 pounds.
- Skewers: I recommend using metal skewers for this recipe. If using wooden skewers, then soak them in water for 30 minutes first.
If you are not a fan of lamb, you can substitute it with other meats, seafood, or vegetables in this kebab recipe. See below for suggested marinating times.
- Lamb: Marinate for 6-10 hours
- Beef: 6-24 hours
- Chicken: 2-4 hours
- Fish and Seafood: 1 hour
- Vegetables or Meat substitutes: 1-2 hours
How to Make Grilled Lamb Kebabs with Saffron:
- Cut the meat into 1 1/2 inch pieces, and marinate as directed.
- Preheat grill for 350-375 degrees F or medium heat.
- Thread 6-7 pieces of marinated lamb cubes onto each skewer.
- Place the lamb kebabs directly onto the grill grate and cook for 10-11 minutes.
- I recommend a doneness temperature between 150-160 degrees F, or medium done.
- If using chicken, cook to an internal temperature of 165 degrees F.
What to serve with it:
Serve these delectable grilled lamb kebabs in warmed pitas with a yogurt sauce, sliced onions, and one or more of these side dishes.
Remove the cooked lamb from the skewers, and place it into an airtight container. Store in your refrigerator for 3-4 days, or freeze in a vacuum-sealed bag for up to 3 months.
Grilled Lamb Kebabs with Saffron
- Metal skewers
- 2 pounds of boneless leg of lamb cut into 1 1/2 inch cubes
- 1/2 cup vegetable stock
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons grated onion
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 4-6 cloves garlic minced
- 1 1/4 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1/2 teaspoon saffron threads
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- Place lamb cubes in a glass dish or resealable plastic bag.
- Combine marinade ingredients and pour over lamb, making sure it is well coated. Seal bag and place in the refrigerator for 6 hours.
- Preheat grill for medium heat.
- Remove lamb from bag and thread the meat onto skewers, about 6-7 pieces per skewer.
- Place kebabs on to a lightly oiled grill grate 10-11 minutes, turning once or twice. When the lamb has reached the desired doneness, remove from the grill and serve.