Grilled Salmon with Singapore Cucumber Relish
This is a great way to liven up grilled salmon. The layers of flavor really comes through with this dish. I happen to be a huge fan of sambal, and will actually add more than the recipe calls for. However, if you aren't as excited about spicy food, then reduce the amount to suit your tastes. Serve this grilled salmon with rice or grilled vegetables for a perfect, satisfying meal.
- 4 salmon steaks or fillets (about 6-ounces each)
- 1/4 cup vegetable oill
- 3 tablespoons cilantro, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- for relish:
- 11/2 cups cucumber, peeled and diced
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 1 lime, juiced
- 1 tablespoons sesame oil
- 1 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- 1 tablespoon sambal olek
- 1/2 teaspoon white sugar
- 3 mint leaves, finely chopped
- To prepare relish: whisk together sesame oil, soy sauce, sambal olek, lime juice, and white sugar. Add cucumber, bell pepper, and chopped mint leaves to dressing. Toss to coat, cover and place into refrigerator until ready to use. Can make up to 30 minutes in advance.
- Preheat grill for medium high heat.
- Combine vegetable oil with cilantro, garlic, salt and black pepper. Use 1 tablespoon of mixture per steak (or fillet). Spread evenly onto exposed flesh.
- Grill steaks on direct high heat for 10-12 minutes or until they reach an internal temperature of 145 degrees F.
- Remove cooked salmon from the grill and serve with cucumber relish on top.
Photo by: Sabrina Baksh
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!