Grilled Sesame-Miso Squash
A delicious recipe for winter squash cooked right on your grill. I recommend butternut squash for this recipe, but there is no reason why acorn squash, pumpkin, or red kuri squash couldn’t be used. Just adjust the cooking time to match the density of the squash you are using. If you are new to grilling butternut squash, don’t worry. Just slice thin and keep an eye on them while they are on the grill. This grilled sesame-miso squash makes a delicious side dish or main course. You can also add these grilled slices to salads and veggie wraps.
- 1 large butternut squash
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons low sodium soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons toasted sesame seeds
- 2 cloves garlic grated
- 1 tablespoon miso paste
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1-2 spring onions finely chopped optional
- Rinse off butternut squash and pat dry with paper towels. Tip the squash over on its side, and cut off about 1/4” on the very bottom, large section of the gourd. This will flatten the bottom and create evenness for later. Next, do the same to the top to remove the stemmed piece.
- Stand the squash upright and, using your knife, make a vertical cut from the narrow part all the down through the large base. You end up with two equal-sized halves. Next, gently scoop out the seeds.
- Cut squash into 1/4” thick slices. Place butternut squash in a shallow dish, coat well with vegetable oil, and set aside.
- Combine all remaining ingredients, except spring onion, in a small saucepan. Allow mixture to come to a boil, then add spring onions. Remove from heat and let the mixture cool.
- Preheat grill for medium heat. Place squash on the grill and allow to cook for 6-8 minutes per side or until tender with good color.
- Once cooked through, remove squash from the grill, plate, and top with sesame-miso dressing.
Image by: PantherMediaSeller/Depositphotos