Grilled Za'atar Shrimp
An easy and flavorful shrimp recipe to try on the grill. Remember to always buy fresh, not frozen shrimp for kebabs. Za'atar seasoning (a seasoning of sesame seeds, sumac, and other herbs and spices) can be purchased in most grocery stores, online, and sold by various Middle Eastern grocers. You can add this spice on any kind of meat, vegetable, or meat substitute.
- 2 pounds shrimp extra large, peeled, deveined, and tails left on
- 4-6 skewers (metal recommended)
- for marinade:
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- zest of 1 lemon
- 2 large lemons juiced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2 teaspoons Za'atar seasoning
- 1/4-1/2 teaspoon salt (start with 1/4 teaspoon, taste marinade and increase if needed)
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- Peel and devein shrimp. Blot dry with paper towels to remove any excess moisture. Place shrimp in a resealable plastic bag. Use two if necessary.
- Combine marinade ingredients and pour over shrimp. Move around to distribute evenly. Seal bag and place into the refrigerator for 20-30 minutes. No longer than this or the acid from the lemons will begin to change the texture of the shrimp.
- Preheat grill for medium-high heat. Right before placing shrimp on grill, make sure to oil the grill grates.
- Remove shrimp from bag and thread onto skewers; about 4 shrimp per skewer. Place onto the grill and cook for 3 minutes per side or until the shrimp are firm and pink in color.
- Once cooked, remove from grill, assemble onto platter and give them a little spritz of fresh lemon juice before serving. I recommend grilled vegetables to go with this dish.
Image and recipe by: Sabrina Baksh
Calories: 364kcalCarbohydrates: 6gProtein: 47gFat: 17gSaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 572mgSodium: 1909mgPotassium: 263mgFiber: 2gSugar: 1gVitamin A: 22IUVitamin C: 39mgCalcium: 346mgIron: 5mg
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!