Looking for a low carb, ketogenic friendly alternative to potato skins? Well, look no further than these Grilled Zucchini Skins. The best part is that these can be cooked right on the grill. These stuffed zucchini makes a delicious side dish and is quite fast and easy to prepare.
Grilled Zucchini Skins
- 4 medium-large zucchini, halved and scooped
- 1 1/3 cups cream cheese
- 2 cup cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese (reserve 1/2 for garnish)
- 8 strips think cut bacon, cooked and crumbled (reserve 2 strips worth for garnish)
- 2 tablespoons flat leaf parsley, finely chopped (garnish)
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon granulated garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon granulated onion
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- Wash and cut zucchinis in half lengthwise. Remove ends. Turn zucchini halves over to skin side. Cut a 1/8" strip off of the center so vegetable will balance properly on grill grate. Don't cut too much off.
- Preheat grill for medium heat.
- Combine cream cheese with about 6 strips worth of bacon (reserving remainder for garnish), 1 1/2 cups of cheddar cheese, salt, garlic, onion, and black pepper. Scoop equal amounts of mixture into zucchini halves. Do not over stuff. Top with remaining cheddar cheese and bacon crumbles.
- Place zucchinis onto grill grate skin side down. Close lid and cook for 8-10 minutes, or until the zucchini are tender, filling is hot, and the cheddar cheese has melted.
- Remove zucchini skins from grill and garnish with chopped parsley. Serve as is, or cut into smaller pieces for appetizer portions.
- Zucchini's can be cooked in the oven at 350 degrees F., for 15-20 minutes.
- *Looking for a vegan alternative? Simply swap out the cream cheese, shredded cheddar, and bacon crumbles with vegan alternatives. Keep in mind that there will be textural differences, but otherwise, just as delicious!