Experience the irresistible island flavors with this Hawaiian pork rib rub. While it is wonderful on smoked ribs, it’s also a great BBQ rub for smoked pork shoulder, tenderloin, and chops.
This recipe makes enough Hawaiian pork rib rub for two racks of spare ribs or three racks of baby back ribs. Please note that this recipe uses soy sauce powder to create that delicious umami flavor. This item is available online and is worth every penny!
- Sweet paprika, or regular paprika (avoid smoked or spicy paprika)
- Brown sugar
- Soy sauce powder (substitute with low-sodium beef bouillon granules)
- Onion powder
- Granulated garlic, sub with garlic powder
- Coarse salt, Hawaiian sea salt preferred but not required
- Black pepper
Making and Using Hawaiian Pork Rib Rub:
- Combine all ingredients in a small bowl and apply evenly to ribs.
- If making a large batch of rub, store it in an airtight container in the cupboard for up to 6 months.
- Wrapping ribs and pork roasts: If you plan to apply the rub first, then wrap, I recommend doing so for 2 hours with ribs and up to 12 hours with pork roasts—no more than that.
- I will also use my Tropical Pork Injection Marinade when making pork roasts with this Hawaiian pork rib rub. They work beautifully together!
- I love to use this rub when making Pellet Grill Pork Ribs. I’ll finish the ribs off with a pineapple glaze. Simply melt a little pineapple jelly in a pan and brush it on the pork ribs during the last 30 minutes of cook time. Fantastic!
Looking for more ideas? See our best BBQ Pork Rib Rubs.
Try my methods for:
Make this recipe extra authentic with real Hawaiian Sea Salt.
Hawaiian Pork Rib Rub
- 1/4 cup sweet paprika
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce powder (substitute with low-sodium beef boullion granules)
- 2 teaspoons onion powder
- 2 teaspoons granulated garlic sub with garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon coarse salt Hawaiian sea salt preferred
- 1 1/2 teaspoons black pepper
- Combine all ingredients in a small bowl and apply to meat. If you are making ahead of time, store seasoning rub in an airtight container in the cupboard for up to 6 months after preparation.