This rich, creamy Hawaiian potato salad contains a little spam, a hit of lemon juice, and a lot of flavor. That gives this recipe the perfect profile to be an accompaniment to any grilled meats or vegetables.
- 5 medium russet potatoes peeled and chopped into fourths
- Salt for boiling water
- 1 cup real mayonnaise
- 3-4 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2-3 medium green onion finely chopped
- 1/4 cup flat leaf parsley finely chopped
- 1 1/2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon salt use more if needed
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper use less if preferred
- 1/4 teaspoon hot sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 few dashes of granulated garlic
- 3 hard-boiled eggs peel and chopped
- 7 ounces light spam cut into 4 slabs
- 1/2 tablespoon olive oil you can use cooking spray if preferred
- Boil potatoes for 20-25 minutes, until tender but not mushy. Drain and quickly place into a large bowl with cold water and ice (ice bath). Let potatoes sit in cold water for 10-15 minutes. This will cool the potatoes effectively and stop the cooking process.
- Heat oil in a skillet and add all four slices of spam. Brown each side for 2-3 minutes. Remove and place onto a cutting board. Let them cool for at least 5-7 minutes before cutting into bite-sized pieces.
- In a large plastic or glass bowl, combine mayonnaise, lemon juice, Dijon mustard, salt, pepper, paprika, onion powder, hot sauce, and granulated garlic. Add chopped green onion and parsley. Stir and taste for salt content.
- Add potatoes, chopped spam and eggs to bowl. Gently fold into the dressing. Cover with plastic wrap and place into the refrigerator for 2-4 hours. Before serving, transfer potato salad to a serving dish and garnish with a little more parsley or chopped green onion.
Image by: lenyvavsha/Depositphotos