Hawaiian Style Spare Ribs
These spareribs are utterly delicious and really easy to make. The teriyaki sauce and pineapple juice really adds a nice touch. Serve with grilled vegetables and rice with a little extra teriyaki sauce on the side.
- 1 rack pork spare ribs (or St. Louis cut ribs)
- 1/2 cup prepared teriyaki sauce
- 1/2 cup pineapple juice
- 2 green onion, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- Aluminum foil
- Remove membrane from back of the ribs by making a small cut at the edge. Using a paper towel, grab the edge and pull membrane away from the bone. With any luck it will come off clean. If not, repeat process until membrane comes off.
- Combine lemon juice and 2 of the garlic cloves. Place ribs, meat side up in a glass baking dish and pour mixture on top. Spread mixture around to evenly coat. Cover dish with plastic wrap and place in refrigerator for 30 minutes.
- While ribs are marinating, simmer teriyaki sauce and pineapple juice over medium heat for 5 minutes. Watch for burning and reduce heat. Once mixture is well combined, remove from stove top. Reserve half of the sauce and set aside (or store in refrigerator). Cover the remaining sauce to use on the ribs themselves.
- Preheat grill for medium heat. Remove ribs from refrigerator and let stand at room temperature until grill is ready. Season ribs with salt and black pepper. Place ribs on grill and cook for 30 minutes, turning a few times.
- Apply sauce on meat side after the first 15 minutes of cook time. Repeat process for the duration of cooking. Watch for burning. If it becomes a problem, simply place a large sheet of aluminum foil on the grill grate, place ribs on top and continue basting.
- Once ribs have reached 175 degrees, remove from heat and loosely tent with aluminum foil. Let stand for 10 minutes. Heat remaining sauce while ribs are resting. Serve on the side or on top of rice and vegetables. Slice ribs between the bones, place on serving dish, and garnish with chopped green onions.