Whether roasting, grilling or cooking your turkey on a rotisserie spit, this Herb-Butter Turkey Rub will give your bird a flavorful head start! Not only is this rub super flavorful, but the butter helps brown the turkey’s skin as it cooks. This buttery turkey rub is a delicious mixture of fresh herbs, savories like garlic, onion, and of course, creamy butter.
This creamy herb butter adds an extra layer of amazing flavor to turkey, making it the perfect rub for Thanksgiving feasts and special occasions!
Why this recipe works
- The fresh herbs and savories used in the rub will add a delicious, aromatic flavor to your turkey.
- The butter helps brown the turkey’s skin while it cooks, resulting in a show-stopping appearance.
- It butter also adds an extra layer of richness to the turkey that is perfect for festive gatherings and special occasions.
- This rub recipe is versatile and can be used for roasting, grilling, or cooking the turkey on a rotisserie spit.
Please note that this turkey rub recipe is designed for a up to a 16 pound bird. Increase the recipe for larger turkeys.
Ingredients for Herb-Butter Turkey Rub:
- Unsalted butter (Irish butter recommended)
- Fresh herbs: rosemary, thyme, and marjoram (substitute any one of these with fresh sage, oregano, basil, or parsley)
- Salt, *omit if you’ve brined the turkey, or if your turkey was prepackaged in a sodium brine solution*
- Granulated onion or onion powder
- Granulated garlic or garlic powder
- Paprika (not smoked)
- Black pepper
- Allspice (substitute with nutmeg)
How to Make it:
- Rinse herbs under cold water and blot them dry with paper towels. Remove the leaves from stems and chop them finely,
- If you have brined the turkey, do not add salt to the mixture! Combine remaining ingredients with room temperature butter, and stir until well incorporated. Give the herb-butter a quick taste, and adjust as needed.
Using Herb-Butter Turkey Rub:
- Apply butter mixture 30 minutes before cooking.
- Use your hands to apply herb-butter turkey rub all over the bird, including under the breast skin. Be gentle when applying to avoid tearing the skin. Wash your hands and disinfect your work area thoroughly.
- Cook your turkey as directed.
- Dispose of any leftover rub that has come into contact with raw meat.
- We recommend pairing this herb-butter turkey rub with a Turkey Injection Marinade for best results.
- Smoked Turkey
- Rotisserie Turkey
- Smoked Whole Turkey Breast
- Lemon-Rosemary Turkey Brine
Herb-Butter Turkey Rub
- 1 cup room temperature unsalted butter Irish butter recommended
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh rosemary
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves
- 2 1/2 teaspoons salt *omit if you've brined the turkey*
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh marjoram (substitute with sage)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons granulated onion
- 1 teaspoon granulated garlic (or 5 cloves garlic, minced)
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon powdered allspice (substitute with nutmeg)
- Wash and blot dry the herbs with paper towels. Remove leaves from stems and finely chop. Combine herbs and spices with room temperature butter until well incorporated.
- Carefully apply butter mixture all over turkey, including under the breast skin and inside the cavity. Cook turkey as directed.
- Discard any leftover rub that has come into contact with raw meat.