It wouldn’t be the holidays without a mouthwatering prime rib roast. You can use a commercial rub for this, but I recommend making your own when you get the chance. Put this holiday rib roast in your pellet grill and make it easy.
Holiday Rib Roast
- Pellet Grill
- 1 5-7 bone prime rib roast
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter room temperature
- 2 1/2 tablespoons kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon coarse ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 teaspoons granulated garlic
- 1 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon crushed mustard seed
- Place roast into a large baking dish, bone side down. Combine rub mixture (make a little extra if you roast is big). Apply rub all over the top and sides of the roast. Cover with plastic wrap and place into the refrigerator for 2-4 hours.
- Remove beef from the fridge and let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes.
- Set your grill temperature for high, keeping the lid closed. Place roast meat side up on to the grill grate and cook for roughly 30 minutes.
- Reduce the heat to 325 degrees F., and cook for an additional 3 hours or more. Once the roast reaches your desired doneness (I recommend medium-rare or 130 degrees F, or medium at 140 degrees F.), remove from grill and place onto a large clean cutting board. Loosely tent with aluminum foil for 10-15 minutes.
- Carve rib roast and serve.
- Pellet Suggestion: Cherry or Apple
- Photo: Sabrina Baksh